Chapter 27: Among normal people (pt 3)

Start from the beginning

"He's spoken very fondly of you, Lady Cromwell," the woman said, not without a raised eyebrow. "You must have a knack for befriending children."

Lucius tried to mask the discomfort in his laugh. The lady had no intention of hiding her disapproval of an adult spending so much time with her son. With every right, Lucius supposed.

"You must be Lady Clausson," he said as his laugh died down, with as charming of a smile as he could muster.

"Valdís Magnúsdóttir," she corrected him, and Lucius suspected his lacking knowledge had decreased her respect for him further.

"Oh..." His eyes flickered in Samueli's direction for help, receiving a confused shake of the head as reply. "... My apologies."

How could he turn that poor first impression around? Claus was the town chief of course, but it would be a bad idea to be on poor terms with his wife.

His mind wandered back to Catherine, but he doubted any subject they'd discussed would be applicable in a non supernatural environment.

Unless ladies really did talk about each other's breasts, he supposed, and unthinkingly lowered his gaze from Valdís' eyes. Regardless, what would he say? Was size something to address, like Catherine had? And he assumed it was more of a private discussion, so bringing it up at the moment was probably a no no.

"Lady Cromwell?"

Lucius' eyes shot back up again to Valdís' face.

"Yes?"

"I was telling you that it happens a lot, so don't worry." Valdís' voice had softened, but the confused wrinkle on her forehead suggested she'd noticed the location of Lucius' stare. "I am pleased to meet you, of course."

"We were talking with Mr. Faal here earlier about how impressed we are with your initiatives," Claus gestured from Samueli to Lucius, almost spilling the drink in his hand, and Lucius suspected the man was a bit tipsy at the moment. "From what I hear, that soap making event was a big success, and I could not be happier to have contributed."

"It was a generous donation, Lord Clausson and Lady Magnúsdóttir." Lucius smiled contently as he seemed to have gotten the last name right. "We would never have gotten a hold of so much tallow for the event. And I hear you even sent oils."

"We value cleanliness a lot in West Kerilia," Valdís said, now even showing a faint smile. "I'm happy to see others do the same."

Lucius thought back to Frey's undesirable glove display. Perhaps a little too fixated on cleanliness.

"Oh look!" Claus said as two young girls ran up to him. "Here are the other two."

"The..." Lucius blinked at the new additions to their conversation, including what seemed to be a maid following the two children.

"Lady Cromwell, this is Annarósa and Elvie." Claus patted the two on their shoulders. "We couldn't just leave them at home when their older brother was allowed to come. I'm certain you won't mind."

"Oh..." Lucius said, looking from one rosy-cheeked girl to another with rising terror. "... There's more of them."

He looked up at Claus again before his sentence could be interpreted correctly.

"How wonderful, and such lovely girls."

"Pleased to meet you," the eldest, presumably Annarósa, replied with a toothy grin, and her sister nodded in agreement. "Your dress is very pretty."

"Ah, how nice of you to say." Lucius breathed out. Perhaps these two were slightly more likeable than their brother. "I love your dresses as well."

The girls smiled, and then Annarósa turned to her father.