“Am I interrupting something?” Roberto asked out of the blue.

“Nothing to concern yourself about. We were just catching up where we left off. Isn’t that right, Alli-cat?”

“I’m pretty sure you aren’t allowed in the boss’s office.”

“I was just telling Alli-cat here the same thing when she motioned for me to come in.” Brian smooth lied. He was the epitome of a liar. The look he gave her told it all. Allison didn’t bother saying a damn thing, she chose to walk out instead. Running to her room, she locked the door behind her after she was sure she wasn’t followed. Again the bastard had made her feel extremely filthy by putting his hands on her. Just from his speech alone she felt nasty.

The next day she tried her best to not be alone anywhere near him. Skittish as all get up every time he was around. All the men whom she had grown acquainted with over the period of time she has been there, kept a watchful eye on her at all times. She didn’t know why but she was thankful all the same. From the angered looks he kept throwing her way she knew he wasn’t too happy about that fact either. Obviously something was going on that she didn’t know about. The entire day was like that and she couldn’t have been happier honestly.

The day had come and gone so swiftly. It was now time for the funeral services. Allison really didn’t even want to go but Carlina insisted. Relenting on going but was hell-bent on not sitting with the family. She and Antonio hadn’t spoken more than a few words only about business of course. The night they shared that she mistook for passion was a thing of the past as if it never happened. Thankfully she ended up sitting between Roberto and Gio. It was if she had known Carmine for much longer for she was just as heartbroken as the ones who’s known him longer.

The site of Antonio trying to hold it together is what really did her in. He tried so hard for his mother’s sake, hiding behind his sunglasses. Somehow she felt his pain and saw through the façade. At the cemetery, she was itching to comfort him even though he said some hurtful things to her. Standing next to him at the gravesite was unnerving to no end but stuck shoulder to shoulder is where they stood. A brush of the hands by pure accident caught her off-guard as she just closed her eyes at the feel of his skin next to hers. Even though his glasses were dark and he didn’t turn his head, she felt when he bore a whole in the side of her head.

Though brief, Allison marveled in the contact just the same. Other family and associates were coming by to offer their condolences. Allison attempted to move away to give them privacy but Carlina wasn’t letting up and oddly enough Antonio wasn’t making a move on letting her leave either. When it was time to walk back to the family cars, Antonio startled Allison by placing his hand at the small of her back like before. He hadn’t done that since the morning they woke up together. She just fell into step like nothing was different but felt she was being watched. There was no way she would turn around to see where it was coming from for it was common sense.

“Will you all be at the repass?” Carlina asked while they stood outside of the family car they originally came in.

“No, we have business in town and won’t be back until tomorrow.” Antonio announced. Allison was unaware of that but noticed the truck they normally traveled in pull up next to the funeral car.

“I understand.” Carlina said. “May I come?”

“You wouldn’t want to leave your guests unattended now would we?” Antonio asked.

“No, I suppose not.”

“See you later mamma. Give everyone our best. Ci?”

“Ci. Ti amo, figlio.”