Chapter Seven

“Mrs. Myers, this is my mother Miss Carlina Mucciono.” Allison was floored that this was his mother.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Mucciono.”

“Likewise caro. You are a very beautiful woman.”

“Thank you Miss Mucciono.”

“Please caro, call me Carlina. Miss Mucciono is so formal.”

“This is somewhat a business matter mamma.”

“Antonio, please mind your tongue.” His mother scolded without removing the graceful smile from her face. “Now Mrs. Myers. I want to formally welcome you to our country.”

“Thank you and please call me Allison.”

“A beautiful name for a beautiful girl.” Carlina’s smile was contagious. Allison quickly found herself following suit. “Is this your first time here?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“So polite but you are making me feel so old.”

“My apologies.”

“I’m just teasing caro. Come let us get you settled in. I know that flight must have been hideous.”

There wasn’t a doubt in Allison’s mind that Carlina got her way in every situation she saw the need. All of the men just allowed her to dote over Allison like a new pet for her to play with. The ride to the estate was breath-taking. Nothing short of marvelous. The country-side view was remarkably and surreal. If she made it out of this alive she would definitely want to return here to visit. Maybe even live here. How wonderful would that be? She thought about being free like her ancestors probably dreamed of from the slavery days. After all she was a modern day slave sort of. She was made to work for her husband, waiting on him hand and foot, and now she was sold to another man to cover his debt.

Her saddened thoughts evaporated as the limo pulled through a large set of wrought-iron gates. The wall connected to the gates were made of pure stone that even the best rock-climber would have trouble scaling. The long driveway was surrounded by well-manicured grass and shrubbery. Stopping in front a massive estate that could fit ten of the homes she once called her own, the group descended the car. This family was obviously more than well-off, they could afford the world and then some. Once they exited the car, she could hear water off in the distance. This was like a fortress or a dream getaway. Places like this were only viewed by the public in magazines, television shows, and movies. Here she stood in a real rich person’s driveway.

“Welcome to our home.” Carlina whispered to a speechless Allison.

“Oh my…this is absolutely beautiful.”

“Thank you caro. Come. Let me show you to your sleeping quarters. After you have rested, I would love to take you on a tour of the estate.”

“I would love that.”

“Magnifico!”

Upon walking through the huge doors that she was sure took some serious back muscles to open, they were greeted by a staff of individuals. All of them dressed alike and greeted everyone with a smile. The language spoken around her was a mix of Italian and some English with Italian dialect. Several times she saw how the staff gave her curious stares. Probably all wondering why this black woman was in their presence. No one, so far, seemed to be uncomfortable or bothered with her presence as they were shocked. The inside was just as magnificent as the outer exterior.

“This will be your room during your stay. You have your own sitting area and restroom. Your luggage should be brought to your room shortly. How long will you be here with us?”