"Really? You're asking me that?" He raises an eyebrow at me.

"Yeah. Am I missing something?"

"It's hard to be with someone who doesn't put you first."

"You lost me." I pull my eyebrows together, confused. Anytime Martac talks about Chris he talks about him like he hung the stars and moon himself.

"He puts you above me." I couldn't have felt more shocked if he had slapped me. "He has cancelled dates, rescheduled vacation time, blown me off in the middle of a date, and once we were even in the middle of sex when he pulled out to go see you. Because you texted him. And he checked his phone since it was your ringtone."

"That doesn't sound right. Just yesterday, he was basically growling at me because I was obviously intruding on your time together!" I protest.

"But did he kick you out or even ask you to leave?"

"He...." I have to think. He said to go play with my 'hero toy' but that was the only thing he said before actually tucking me into the recliner to make me comfortable. And when I left, they immediately went back to their... activities.

"Exactly" Chris continues after it's clear that I have no leg to stand on. "You call, he comes running. He told me it was because of your brother, but I don't know what reason would make that kind of loyalty extend to you."

"If there is one, then I don't know."

"That sounds like a lie to me. How would you not know why he's always there for you even if I need him?" I've never seen Chris so aggressive.

"So why do you keep coming back if it's that hard for you?" I push back, knowing I'm in the wrong here.

"Because he's my number one." The shower shuts off and a moment later Martac is in the living room with wet hair and a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Ya all good, lass?"

"Yeah. Fine." I say, not taking my eyes off Chris who looks tortured. "I actually canceled the next two weeks worth of jobs. You two should take a vacation. Get away for a little while." Chris' face relaxes and he looks at me hopeful that I actually mean it. I switch my gaze to Martac "on my dime too."

"Now I really think you're sick." He eyes me suspiciously as he presses a hand to my forehead. I wave him off.

"Really. Go. You're over due a vacation by... like three years anyway." He already has a 'company' credit card that he uses when he needs to buy things for jobs. He can just put all the expenses on there. "Don't call either. I'll be fine without you for a couple weeks."

"Uh huh, sure ya will" he chuckles but looks more excited and relieved to have time off.

"I'll leave the two of you to plan. See you later." I stand and leave without giving Martac time to think about why I suddenly suggested he take time off. I'm sure Chris will tell him a version of our conversation that leans more toward him just needing time off and them spending alone time together without the possibility of me popping in.

I rush back home to try to reschedule the appointments we have for next week. I can get out of only a couple of them but there's still three I'll have to do on my own since it's time sensitive and we've already been paid a large sum in advance.

I've never done a job by myself, but it should be ok. Famous last words.

Brushing off my potential impending doom, I get ready for lunch with Ella. I put a little more effort into my appearance and even swipe on some make up to give myself the facade that I'm a well rested and an emotionally stable human. Quite a lot to ask of make up but here we are.