ten

╔═══════════════════╗
after school break.
╚═══════════════════╝

Heeseung rested his head on the table, feeling tired after all the reading and studying. Their final year exam was just around the corner. The most awaited exam that will determine their career path.

He glanced at Areum in front of him who still had her eyes fixed on her English book. Her fingers were starting to become red from holding her pen too long.

He sat up straight and typed something on his phone.

Let's go have some fun — Heeseung

Areum sighed when she saw the text. She put down her pen and answered back, "Too busy. Go by yourself."

He pouted and tidied up all his books before putting them into his backpack. He reached for his phone and typed back, "Suit yourself. I'll be at the school field."

She didn't answer anything. He gave up when he saw that she wasn't going to stop studying. He quietly left the library before heading to the field.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Beomgyu walked with a box of chocolate milk in his hand. He headed to the usual place he always clears his mind. The school field.

He inhaled the fresh open air until he saw his best friend sitting alone at the benches, silently observing the other students playing basketball.

He approached Heeseung before taking a seat next to him.

"You're done studying?" Beomgyu asked. Heeseung exhaled tiredly and nodded, "I can't remember the last time I saw the sky."

"How is Areum? Since it's almost the final exam, I'm sure you didn't get to go on dates as much as during the school break."

"No, we didn't even go on dates that much during school break. She is always studying. Does meeting her at the convenience store count as a date?"

Beomgyu let out an amused chuckle. He tilted his head upward to face the sky before closing his eyes, "You're a lucky man, Heeseung. Make sure to cherish her."

"I am."

Heeseung closed his eyes and let the wind brush against his skin. Suddenly, a cold sensation touched his skin. He flinched as he opened his startled eyes immediately.

Areum was holding two bottles of banana milk, smiling at him in amusement. He gave her a death stare, "What is wrong with you? That scared me."

"You really think I wouldn't come here? I'm not that crazy to study for hours and hours until I don't have time for my boyfriend."

Heeseung's heart fluttered at the word boyfriend. That was the first time Areum referred him to that. Beomgyu gave them a soft smile, happy to see his friends having a nice relationship.

His eyes widened when he noticed her wearing his hair tie.

"Beomgyu," she called, waking him up from his thoughts. He hummed in response, waiting for her to continue.

"When are we going to get our results for the math quiz?" She asked. "The teacher said today. Let's just hope we all get high scores," he answered.

Heeseung scoffed before standing up, "We always do."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Mrs Geum held the quiz papers tightly to her chest, eyeing the students with her scary eyes. "Congratulations, Areum and Heeseung for getting high scores in this quiz. I expect you to get high scores in your final exam too. I believe you both will have bright career paths. I hope. Keep up the good work."

She approached Beomgyu's desk and sighed, "I don't know what happened to you, Beomgyu. But I believe you are not the type of person to give up. So please, study more and score higher," she said before handing him his paper.

He got an F for the first time. He widened his eyes in shock, seeing the huge red letter being circled on the front page.

Other students gasped in surprise. Some even whispered to each other. Beomgyu always gets an A in quizzes and exams.

Even the said person himself didn't know what happened.

Is it because I can't focus?

But why?

He asked himself the questions over and over again before turning around, sneaking glances at his best friend and his crush.

Heeseung was staring at Areum as she was writing something in her notebook. He rested his chin on his palm as he listened to her saying something.

His heart was slowly breaking into pieces. He faced back in front and fixed his posture, taking a few deep breaths.

Areum smiled to herself when she saw '98' written on her math paper. She wanted to take a glimpse at Heeseung's paper, leaning to the right to take a look.

He quickly pushed her away and glared, "What are you doing?"

"I'm just trying to see what score you get."

"It's lower than yours," he muttered. "How much?" She asked.

"96."

"Yes! I'm higher than you! I can't believe it! For the first time in my life, I'm actually higher in maths than you!" She cheered happily.

His lips curved into a bright smile. Seeing her happy made him happy. His heart fluttered at the sight of her smiling widely at him.

He sneaked a glance at his paper, '100' was written on the paper with a red pen. It wouldn't hurt to make her happy, right?