thirty-four

Areum thanked her lecturers as she walked around the field, holding her graduation bouquet. She went to Beomgyu's faculty and saw him bowing at his lecturers.

He turned around and smiled at her. They both had been together ever since they left high school. He always visits her parents' house to help them with the cooking. She would always visit his parents' house to keep his mother company.

They both approached each other, taking deep breaths. "You're finally a detective, Areum," he spoke.

"I guess you're ready to work at your dad's company."

He chuckled awkwardly and lowered his gaze, "I have something to tell you."

She waited with full anticipation. He kept his eyes fixed at the flowers she was holding, his heart pounding like there was no tomorrow.

"I like you," he breathed out. Her eyes widened as her finger started loosening around the bouquet. He immediately caught the flowers so that they won't fall to the ground.

"Beomgyu, I don't know what to say."

Her cheeks started blushing as she closed her eyes, trying to think of a response.

"What if I break your heart at the end?" She asked, her voice becoming quieter. He flashed her a calm smile before holding both of her shoulders, "I don't care. If you want to use me as your rebound then use me."

"It feels wrong," she pulled away. He sighed, "I've liked you since middle school, Areum. Maybe we can try again? What if we both fall deeply for each other?"

She exhaled heavily and nodded, "I guess I could try."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum stared at the window, the memory of her graduation day still vivid in her mind. She exhaled heavily and let her head hang low. She played with her fingers, remembering Beomgyu's words when he confessed to her.

She didn't even know why she accepted his confession. But she wasn't going to lie to herself. She did fall for him. That was until she realised he wasn't in love with her, he was obsessed with her.

She didn't know when to break up with him because she didn't want to seem harsh. She wanted to do it face to face but he was rarely home. She tried and tried again to love him but failed. The feelings were already gone.

The door to her room opened, revealing Ni-ki walking in with a duffel bag in his hand. "Are you ready to go?" He asked.

She nodded and walked slowly to him, making sure she doesn't fall. She looked around the hallway, no signs of Heeseung waiting for her.

"If you're looking for Dr Lee, he's at the medical school teaching."

She glanced at Ni-ki who was looking at his watch. He averted his gaze at her, "We should go. Your parents must be waiting at home."

"Home," she chuckled. She remembered the time when she moved into a penthouse with Beomgyu. He had bought her one since she said it was one of her dreams to own one.

The memories of Beomgyu and her decorating the house, cooking together and fighting pillows were also still vivid. She shrugged the thoughts away and followed the male detective to the lobby from behind.

"I'm glad you muster up your courage to break up with Beomgyu," Ni-ki said.

"It just happened. I couldn't take it anymore," she muttered quietly. He nodded and remembered something.

"Your parents must be waiting by now. Let's go."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung took off his glasses, "That is it for today, class. Please be prepared for the upcoming test. I wish you all to pass and get good grades."

"Yes, professor!" The students said in unison. He watched as they left the class, leaving him alone. He rolled the sleeves of his shirt up to his elbows and ruffled his hair.

The door opened, making him flinch in surprise. Sunghoon barged in before taking off his glasses, slamming them onto the desk.

"What's wrong?" Heeseung frowned.

"A girl flirted with me just now."

"Aren't you supposed to be happy?"

"I should but I don't know what happened. I don't feel anything. Remember the girl that I met on the rooftop? The one that I met again at that event in America?"

Heeseung nodded, waiting for his friend to continue. Sunghoon exhaled heavily and buried his face into his arms, resting his head on the desk.

"Why can't I find her? I tried to search Ahn Daeun everywhere. I even had a private detective search for her. I can't find her anywhere. I tried to date other girls as well but they're not her."

Heeseung chuckled in amusement and sat next to him, "I think you're in love."

"Oh please," Sunghoon scoffed, "I guess the feelings will soon go away."

"Whatever. You'll say that and then spend the rest of the day drinking alcohol because you can't find her."

"Shut up. Why are you so mean?"