Curiosity Killed The Rabbit

Start from the beginning

"Let's take it for a spin," Michael urged, placing the keys in his wife's hands. "I know a great place that does champagne brunch,"

Althea grinned, pressing another kiss to his mouth before rushing over to her new vehicle.

"You kids have fun, now!" Kathrine called.

With the beep of the horn, they were off, riding with the convertible top down and the morning California breeze rushing through their hair. Althea finally had the keys to a sense of independence in the Jackson world.

"Y'know, I still remember the day you first walked into the office," Michael grinned as he cut into his omelet. "You were lookin' so pretty, you had on this fantastic dress on, and you just had this glow. I just knew I had to talk to you,"

Althea sipped her mimosa with a small smile as Michael took her hand in his.

The elegant brunch spot with white tablecloths and fresh lilies was a nice bonus to the surprise of the morning but the excitement of it all was starting to wear off and a strange sense of guilt was settling in.

Althea couldn't stop her mind from drifting off to the events of the previous weekend at Whitney's celebratory dinner.

It was all so strange. She'd only meant to accompany Michael and congratulate the latest addition to Jacksounds Records but had only ended up getting hit on.

It certainly wasn't the first time anyone had come onto her, but it was definitely the first time a woman had done so, making it all the more perverse. Whitney had tricked her into thinking they could be friends but her friendly demeanor was only a cover-up for an ulterior motive.

Althea knew she couldn't tell Michael- it'd be too confusing, and she wasn't even sure he'd believe her. Then there was the possibility of ruining Whitney's contract and the first successful record deal that Michael had initiated.

Throughout the duration of their relationship, Althea had never kept a secret from Michael and for that, she felt dirty and undeserving of such spoiling.

"I had my eye on you too, except I thought there was some rule against fraternizing with interns," she giggled.

Michael chuckled.

"So, I broke that rule," He reached for his glass of orange juice. "But I've never been happier,"

Althea leaned across the table, planting a sweet kiss to his mouth.

"Me, too,"

She suddenly glanced down at her watch.

"Don't you have to get going for work, honey?"

Michael smirked.

"Not if I don't want to. I'm enjoyin' time here with you,"

His wife giggled.

"I guess we could stay awhile,"

The couple enjoyed the rest of their breakfast and when Althea drove up to Jacksounds Records, Michael did not want to leave.

"Should I drop by to pick you up after work?" She asked sweetly as Michael unbuckled his seatbelt.

"Nah," he grinned. "I'll hitch a ride with Jermaine,"

Althea made a face and Michael giggled.

"As you wish," she replied. "Now gimme a kiss,"

Michael leaned over, pecking his wife's lips before hopping out of the car.

"I love you. See you at home,"

Althea waved to her husband and slowly backed out of the parking lot. Now that she was driving a luxury vehicle, she knew she had to be extra careful. The car was far too expensive for even the tiniest scratch.