Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds Chapter 1: Floating Ashore

Start from the beginning

"I could use the Obliviate charm... Wipe my memory. Forget I ever existed. Wouldn't have to work here again." I pondered before hearing a gentle knock on my door. Before I could beckon the person outside in, they marched in. Somewhat intimidatingly, I rose from my chair and placed my hands on my wooden desk. A poor intern whimpered in, looking like they were borderline trembling.

"I would've thought they would have taught you to wait to be called to enter when they hired you."

If he wasn't teary-eyed before, he certainly was now. Am I that fierce?

"I-I'm sorry, Miss Fudge, I-"

I rose my hand to interrupt him.

"Don't call me that. That isn't my name. It's Miss Juniper. There's a reason why I don't go by that name and you should know."

Understandably, he flinched at my response. One of my main principles of working at the Ministry was that I abandoned the name Fudge. While it is my legal name, it is one that I prefer not to use. It connects me to my father and makes everything I do rebound to him. Hence, I go by Cassandra Juniper.

"So-Sorry, Miss Juniper. The Minister is ask-asking for you. He says it's ur-ur-gent."

"And he didn't tell you what exactly it was?" I asked sternly.

The intern shook his head. Must be some important upcoming Wizengamot trial. No matter. With a flourish, I left the room and made it towards the Minister's office. I do wish he wouldn't waste my time with such matters.

*****

After a long elevator ride, I arrived outside the Minister's office and knocked. Immediately, he responded proudly with a "come in, come in!".

Of course, I did so. Thousands of possible things he could want flashed through my head. Why couldn't that intern have asked so I wasn't going in blind? Through the doors sat my father at his desk. Like mine, it was also scattered in papers but much neater and methodical. Hearing my footsteps, the Minister looked up keenly and met my gaze. Naturally, he was wearing his green striped suit. He probably had an interview with the Daily Prophet. Always has to look his best, doesn't he...

"Ah, Cassandra! There you are. Just who I wanted to see." he gleamed, flashing his typical "I'm important" smile.

I wanted to sigh but this was still the Minister. "Yes. I'm here." I responded curtly. "What is it you need?" It was obvious he was going to ask something of me. That's all he ever brought me up here for.

"Isn't it so much that I want to see my daughter? We've hardly spoken lately."

My fists clenched hard and my nails dug painfully into my skin. That bastard. He knows why we haven't been speaking outside of Ministry business. It's always work-first-family-second for that man.

"Maybe if you spent less time focusing on how to one-up everyone in the Ministry then we'd have something to talk about." is what I wanted to say. Instead, I gave a weak "neh" and sat down on one of the leather chairs opposite his desk. It creaked slightly as it held my weight; it had withstood the years of countless others before me.

Father let out a sigh, knowing that I hadn't fallen for his ruse. Did he always have to try to trick me? I would've thought after years of playing in this role, he would realise it sooner that it didn't work.

"I wanted to talk to you about something that has been going on that now has Ministry concern. It's to do with an issue at Hogwarts. I'm sure you are familiar?"

All I did was nod. I wish I had gone to Hogwarts but Father never let me. The Minister's daughter can't go to any public school. She must have the best wizards and witches for her private education!