Chapter 16: ice cream

Start from the beginning

"What?" I asked as I noticed she wanted to say something, but backed out of it.

"What?" was all she said back as if she wasn't about to speak.

"What were you gonna say? I know you were about to say something, so what is it?"

"I was just wondering why you didn't just ask everyone to come get ice cream, I mean it doesn't make sense for you to drive everyone home and then come back out. We could've just gotten it when we were already out."

Of course it looked suspicious, and I didn't tell the rest of the guys that I was doing this. I didn't have to run anything by them, and I thought since she was already out with us, it wouldn't hurt to try and move things along.

"Ashton likes to go to bed early, and Michael and Calum still had some school work they had to finish up" I lied right through my teeth.

"I see. But why didn't you drop me off first?" she pressed.

"Jesus, Adrian what is this 20 questions? Can we just enjoy our ice cream and hang out" I said, running a hand over my face, not wanting to answer any more of her questions.

"Okay, okay."

"Order for Luke?" a boy who seemed just about a year or so younger than us showed up at my window holding a tray that had a plastic bowl that contained my sundae in it and a styrofoam cup that held her milkshake.

"Yes sir, thank you man" I said, grabbing both containers, handing the milkshake to her and sticking the plastic spoon into the mountain of ice cream in my bowl. We proceeded to consume our desserts in silence, enjoying the sweetness of the ice cream.

"You know when I was younger, I wanted to work here," she said while sipping her milkshake, breaking our silence in the process.

"Your dream as a child was to work at Sonic? Why?" I didn't get it. Who would actually want to work here?

"Because they get to wear roller skates when they work, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever" she laughed looking down into her cup. Honestly I didn't know what kind of answer she was going to give me, but this one was very on brand for her. Of course that was the reason why she wanted to work here as a kid.

"That doesn't surprise me" I laughed taking in another spoonful of ice cream.

To my surprise again, she was sharing more things with me. Telling me stories about her as a kid, remembering funny competition stories, it was all new. Like I said, she was unpredictable, and I don't even think she realized how much she was telling me, but it was nice.

She asked me about myself, and asked if I had any funny stories or memories I liked. We went back and forth talking, and it was different. Something changed within her from the time we were stuck on that ski lift, to sitting here in my car. She was willing to share these things with me, and I didn't have to pry it out of her.

"I didn't think you'd talk this much" I laughed looking over at her.

"Didn't think I would either" she said looking away and taking the straw into her mouth again.

"But see, we are friends, we just hung out and got ice cream together!" I exclaimed as I brought the bowl closer to my face to grab another spoonful of ice cream. If she wanted to go home she would have, but something was keeping her here.

"If we were friends, I wouldn't do this" she said while reaching her arm toward me and pushing my face right into the bowl of ice cream. Covering my entire face in the cold and sticky substance.

"You did not." I said, picking my face up from the bowl. I could feel the vanilla ice cream sliding down my face.

"Oh, but I did," she laughed while grabbing a few napkins, and handing them to me.

"You should probably keep those," I said, gesturing to the pile of napkins in her hand.

"What? Why-" before she could finish speaking I was sliding my hands across my face and wiping them on her cheeks, covering her face in the ice cream. I started laughing as her face scrunched up, accepting that I had got her just as good.

I had one napkin in my hand already, that I used to wipe a majority of the ice cream off, and she had already begun wiping off what I put on her. I reached over to her lap where the rest of the napkins resided but she snatched them before I could grab one.

"Oh no, you don't. After this?" she said circling a finger around her face, "I don't think so" she chuckled.

"Adrian, come on, just give me one" I said reaching over the middle console to try and grab one from her hand.

"Nope" she said, popping the "p" and leaning back so her back was pressed against the door, and her arm fell to her side so the napkins were hanging down by the bottom of the seat.

"Come on" I said, reaching forward again, getting closer to her. Half of my body was over the center console at this point and she had nowhere to go.

"Fine." she said as she brought a napkin up and messily wiped it across my face. "There you go, all done" she said smiling.

I took this as my chance to grab the rest of them from her other hand, catching her off guard. I was able to snatch them and bring them back to my seat sitting upright, when she basically lunged forward trying to get them back from me. Reversing the position we were just in. My back was to the door now and she was the one leaning over the center console.

Our faces were inches apart at this point, her brown eyes were locked onto mine and a few strands of her brown hair that was out of its signature braids was falling slightly in front of her face. We stayed there for what felt like an eternity, I could hear my heart beating in my ears, as I wasn't sure what to do at this point. Something came over me and I found myself tearing my eyes away from hers and falling to look at her lips, then back up at her eyes.

As she had been looking at me this whole time, she saw this play out, and her eyes widened when she realized what I had done. I saw her swallow the lump that had formed in her throat.

"We're not friends" she said, finally taking her eyes off of me and clearing her throat while returning to her seat.

"You're right." I said, turning to look at her. This took her by surprise as she looked at me with her big brown eyes, slightly raising her eyebrows as if to say 'you actually agree with me?' I looked back down at her lips, then up to her eyes before I turned back to face forward, turned on the car and pulled out of the parking spot before finishing my sentence. "We're not friends."

The rest of the drive back to her house was silent. No music playing, no talking, nothing. Pure tension filled the air. I didn't look at her once the entire ride back, but I could feel her glancing over at me every now and then.

We arrived at her house, and she unbuckled her seatbelt and hopped out of the car before looking at me once more. She opened her mouth to speak but hesitated again, deciding to just walk away instead but before she even took her first step she turned back around, and couldn't even meet my eyes. Looking down at the car seat she mumbled a small 'thanks' and closed the door before walking over to her front door. I waited for her to get inside before taking off and I drove in silence all the way back to my house.

I pulled into the garage and killed the engine of the car, sitting there for a moment recalling the events that just happened. I slumped forward, letting my head rest against the steering wheel.

"What the fuck am I doing?" I whispered to myself.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL CHILLLLLEEEEE ANYWAYSSSSS
THINGS LOWK HEATING UP