Chapter 14: an invitation

Luke Hemmings

"What are you gonna text her?" Ashton asked with his feet popped up on the large conference table while throwing a handful of trail mix into his mouth.

"I was gonna ask her if she wanted to come to the hockey game with us" I said looking up from my notebook, and over to Ashton, "since Michael has that extra ticket."

"Oh yeah, he does," Ashton replied, not even bothering to look up at me and examining the pile of trail mix that was in his hand before throwing it into his mouth again.

"If she wants to come, she can take it," Michael said from the other side of the table, focused on whatever he was doing on his laptop.

We had been in the conference room for the past three hours trying to get some school work done before the weekend so we could have some free time to just hangout and do whatever we wanted instead of training.

Michael's dad got five tickets to the University of Utah men's hockey game tomorrow night and since none of us really had any other friends, and Ashton's brother didn't want to come with us, we were left with an extra ticket. This would be the perfect opportunity to start progressing things and moving forward with the plan, but this all relied on her actually saying yes to coming with us.

"You think she'd want to come?" Calum asked. That was a good question, because I honestly didn't know if she would agree to it or not.

"I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot right? The girl literally has no other friends over here, I don't see why she would turn down hanging out with people her age" I said remembering the conversation we had on the ski lift. Even though the girl opened up to me a little bit, she was still unpredictable, and quite the enigma. She was set on her ways, having these rules for herself and I don't know if I'm the person she would break these rules for, especially considering out past it was all up in the air at this point.

"I guess. You better hope she takes it, or else I'm not sure what else you could do to complete this plan if she doesn't even want to hang out with you as friends or whatever you guys are." Ashton said, wiping his hands on his pants and returning to his textbook.

"I think we're getting there. We kinda got to talk when Calum shut down the ski lift, and I got her to open up a little bit."

"Wait." Michael said looking from his computer for once and looking at the three of us sitting around the table. "You shut down the ski lift?" he finished, as he pointed at Calum with a surprised expression on his face.

"Sure did big guy" Calum said proudly with a big grin plastered on his face.

"How did you even manage to pull that off?" Michael asked again.

"I have my ways," the proud boy said, wiggling his eyebrows at Michael.

We tried to do our work for the next hour but continued to get sidetracked as we were all very unmotivated, and our brains were fried. Since most days of the week were spent focusing on training it was up to us to find the time to complete our school work on our own. Obviously whenever we got the chance we would be on the slopes getting in some runs for fun and leisure, so we were always falling behind in our work. Working together and helping each other out and splitting the workload between the four of us made it easy to catch up though.

We spent the last thirty minutes there watching the sunset through the big windows and just chatting amongst ourselves. The colors of the sky were actually quite pretty, contrasting with the white clouds in the sky. It was a nice picture to look at before we all went home.

We packed up our textbooks, notebooks, and laptops and shoved everything into our backpacks ready to collectively walk out of the building and out to our cars to go our separate ways back home.