Chapter 16: ice cream

Luke Hemmings

I fully expected her to say no, to say "take me home," but she said yes. She actually agreed to go.

"Just the two of us?" she asked cocking her head to the side.

"Yeah, well it's just you and me in the car now isn't it?"

"Hmmmm" she hummed in contemplation. "I'm already out of the house, so what the heck, why not" she said, tearing her eyes away from me and facing forward to look at the road ahead of us.

I handed her my phone for her to pick whatever music she wanted to play and she landed on a song I had never heard before, but found myself nodding along to the beat while she quietly sang the lyrics to herself.

"This song's pretty good, what's it called?" I quickly glanced at her.

"Call Me Out, it's by this band called Sea Girls, their music is nice." she said holding my phone towards me so I could see the album cover.

"I thought you strictly listened to only AC/DC" I laughed.

"I don't only listen to them, I like other things too" she rolled her eyes.

The rest of the drive was spent listening to the music she put on the queue which was quite enjoyable. Since it was late, the only place we could get ice cream from was the drive-in Sonic so that meant we would be sitting in the car the whole time and eating our ice cream or drinking our milkshakes or slushies in the car, but that was all part of the Sonic experience.

I pulled into the parking spot next to the ordering machine and put the car in park, turning to look at the menu quickly then back at the girl sitting to my right.

"Do you know what you're gonna get?" I asked as she leaned forward looking at the menu.

"Yup, what I always get."

"And what would that be, so I can order our stuff?" I asked.

"Luke, I can pay for my own things, you don't have to do that."

"Just let me pay, would you? What kind of person would I be if I just let you pay when I invited to come with me?"

"A regular person. Luke just let me order so I can pay for my stuff" she pleaded.

"Absolutely not." I didn't budge.

"Fine," she huffed as she pulled out the ten dollar bill I had given her not even an hour earlier, "take it, it's like you're still paying then" she handed me the bill.

I pressed the red button on the machine and waited for the person on the other end to say something into the speaker letting me know they were ready to take my order.

"Welcome to Sonic, what can I get for you?" the older man's voice said through the speaker system.

"One hot fudge sundae, and one–" I turned away from the machine and quickly whispered "what do you want?" to Adrian.

"And a vanilla shake with M&Ms!" she said loud enough for the microphone to pick up on her voice.

"Is that all? The man asked.

"Yup, that's it." I said while taking out my credit card and sliding it into the card reader attached to the machine paying for our desserts.

While we sat in the car waiting for a worker to bring out what we ordered, we listened to the music she had put on which was now on a lower volume. She turned to me and opened her mouth, ready to talk but turned back around facing forward and closing her mouth.