Chapter 7: it's not funny

Adrian Casey

I should have known it wasn't a goodbye, and more of a see you later because this boy would not let it go. Whatever he needed, he continued to pester me about it the entire day. From trying to get on the same chair lift as me, to speeding up or slowing down his run to catch up to me on the slope. He would not quit it. Always calling out my name hoping I would give him the time of day, but I ignored him every time until I had enough and couldn't take it anymore.

"Adrian!" he yelled once more while I stopped on the side of the hill to dig some snow out of the hood of my sweater that was making my neck cold.

"Oh my God. Luke what on God's green earth do you want?" I yelled, throwing my hands out in front of me and flinging the snow that was on my gloves at him accidentally.

"I wanted to finish our conversation from earlier," he said, like it was obvious. Oh you've got to be kidding me. I was done with that conversation. Obviously I would think about it, I could tone down the insults, and the trash talk, but friends? It was out of the question for me. I couldn't let him in just like that. I didn't even know how to make friends with someone. Calum was an exception but even then it's not like we're really friends, we don't hang out or anything, or talk outside of running into each other here and there.

Isn't it obvious that I have practically no friends my age, I mean my best friend is my dad, and my sister of course but they don't count because they're obligated to hang out with me. Being homeschooled didn't leave me any room for socializing with other kids my age in that sort of environment, and all the other girls my age up on the mountain are skiers or skaters, and they all have some sort of vendetta against me. They think I'm too boy-ish, finding it weird that I only ever compete with the boys here at home, when I didn't really have a choice. And the boys on the mountain my age, well you know some of them already, and growing up they all set me up to be the outcast at competitions and other things, not wanting to hang out with a girl or being too stubborn to play nice with me after losing.

I was content being alone though. Just me and my craft. I liked how things were, and I didn't want anything to change. I didn't have time for friends growing up, but that didn't bother me, and it doesn't bother me now. I have too much to focus on and having a friend isn't on my agenda.

"The conversation that ended. What do you really want dude, just spit it out already I have to get through six more runs before I go home so hurry up." I said looking past him to see the sun was already almost down and I had about three hours left before they shut off the lifts.

"Six, really? Damn okay. So, since we both admit that we make each other better athletes, why don't we try training together sometime?" He asked and I choked on the air that was in my mouth, and began coughing.

"Who are you? And what have you done with Luke Hemmings?" I composed myself while putting my hands up in defence and hopping backwards with my board still attached to my feet to put some distance between me and this imposter. "Did I hear you correctly, or have I taken too many snowballs to the head? You want us to train. Together?" I asked not even believing the words coming out of my mouth.

Delusional was the first word that came to mind. Either he had yet another concussion or his mom really smacked some sense into him.

"Yeah, why have we never tried that before?" he asked innocently, almost as if he forgot our entire history.

"Maybe because uh- like you said earlier, we're mortal enemies."

"C'mon Adrian." He said touching my arm. Do not touch me. "You and I are the two best snowboarders on the mountain, it would only make sense that we have at least some training together. If we make each other better in competition, then we can push ourselves even further in training. It all plays out."