Worried

A/N: I wrote this when Mark was in the hospital and I was out of my mind with worry. I had to exorcise a few of my feelings. There was someone else close to me in the hospital, so the stress made me lose my appetite. I'm just starting to come back to a normal regime. I lost 10-15 pounds in about a month. So this piece is pretty fluffy and a bit sad.

Your hand gently cards through his soft raven locks as he sleeps on his hospital bed. You're finally alone with him, the others have gone to the cafeteria for coffee and you didn't want to leave him alone. You've had some bad experiences with loved ones in a hospital. (Note: my maternal grandparents died of lung cancer.)

When he fell from his seat, groaning in pain, you were terrified. You didn't show it much but your insides were twisted with fear and worry. Your heartbeat was so loud in your ears, it was deafening. He's lucky though. It happened at his mom's house and she's a nurse.

You let out a shaky sigh, breaking the heavy silence in the room. Your eyes return to his face and he's looking at you.

"(Y/N)?" He asks with a raspy voice.

"Right here, Mark, right here." You whisper through the lump in your throat.

"Are you doing ok?" He asks. You try to keep a brave front at his question, but your face crumples and tears flow from your (e/c) eyes.

"No, I'm not." You close your eyes, trying hard not to cry and failing. You feel his hand cupping your wet cheek, his thumb brushing away one of your tears. You lean into his comforting touch, reaching with your hand to hold his there and caress it.

"You're the one on a hospital bed and you're more worried about me? God, I knew you were selfless but this..." You manage to utter between hiccups.

"Of course I worry, love. If I was in that chair, I'd be out of my mind with worry, because I love you, more than anything."

"I love you too, Mark. I'm sorry for crying but hospitals bring so many bad memories."

"I know, love, I have them too. The doctors said I should be ok after the surgery."

"My head knows that, Mark, but I'm afraid something will go wrong and I'll be all alone without you."

"I'll be fine, love. I'll come back to you." He smiles at you. You slip your hand into his, smiling back at him bravely, through your tears.

"I love you, Markimoo."

"As do I, Lady (Y/N)."

You hear the others come back, so you wipe the tears from your face before they see it.