Ahsoka nodded distractedly in response, her gaze still fixed on her Captain, who was pointedly ignoring her attention.

"Rex?"

He exhaled sharply through his nose, still refusing to meet her eyes, conflict visibly warring within him.

"What weren't you telling Cody?" she pressed.

"It's just an itch, Ahsoka. An impossible idea. It doesn't matter," he replied, a sharp edge in his words.

Ahsoka wouldn't force him to tell her, but whatever this 'idea' was, was clearly eating at him. She wanted to help.

But she was already in his mind more than she had any right to be.

She took a breath, closing her eyes for just a moment.

"It does matter, Rex, but I'll drop it. I'm going to go rinse off then grab some grub if you want to join me later."

The man snorted, grateful for the turn in conversation, peering at her from the corner of his eye. "I'd never miss a chance to dig into a ration bar."

Ahsoka rolled her eyes, punching his shoulder as she turned away. "Yeah, and Grievous has surrendered."

His deep chuckle reached her montrals, soothing her. They would get through it – they always did.

_________________________________________________

Ahsoka was no longer sure if they would get through it this time.

Two standard weeks had passed since they rescued Obi-Wan and the 212th and things hadn't improved in the least.

Shortly after the 212th had gotten to Fort Anaxes, they were redeployed with 501st and the 187th troopers to bolster what spots needed to be filled. Ahsoka and Rex were a part of that attachment and had spent day after day, battle after battle with defeats and draws trailing after them like a hungry mastiff.

Ahsoka, Rex, Cody, Obi-Wan and a holographic Windu stood around the holotable, analyzing their most recent battle. Their most recent defeat.

Frustration-despair shimmered just below Rex's surface. Ahsoka knew she reflected him despite her shield. They had been at this for too long for nothing to change. Well, nothing besides more men lost and ground given up.

"I'm pulling Commander Tano and Captain Rex. As the Separatists have blocked the signal between the us and the navy, Skywalker will be joining us soon to sync our strategies and add his thoughts on our... struggles," General Windu explained. "I'll deploy more troops to your command, Obi-Wan, as soon as they arrive with young Skywalker."

The General Kenobi ran a contemplative hand through his beard, nodding wearily. "My thanks, Mace. However, I would like to send Commander Cody back to base as well. His tactical work with Captain Rex has been one of the few things which has kept us from sinking entirely. I believe it would be beneficial for all of us if they could continue their strategizing."

General Windu nodded. "Of course." He turned his attention to the soldiers in discussion. "I expect the three of you here on the next ship available. May the Force be with you."

_________________________________________________

Commander Cody, Rex, and Ahsoka had been separated shortly after they arrived back at Fort Anaxes, briefly checking in before General Windu dismissed them to continue their work. There wasn't any planning for them to contribute to as it was just a debrief for Anakin's benefit.

Despite her appreciation at being able to catch up with Anakin, Ahsoka was itching to speak with Kix and see if he'd made any progress. They'd been gone long enough for him to make at least some headway.