3: The Ex-Boyfriend

Annabeth POV

"I don't understand the point of this," I said firmly. We were at the mall, which was one of my least favorite places in our city. I'd rather be at the library or park. 

"We've been over this. We're doing this for Rachel," Piper explained. 

"I don't understand how splurging money will make her feel any better," Thalia said flatly. "Besides, she should be over that jerk by now." 

I smiled at my best friend. We got each other. We may be different in terms of looks and personality, but our thoughts and ideas tend to be similar. We both agreed that we hate shopping and we hate unnecessary drama. 

"Girls, this is a part of our job description as friends. Rachel deserves a day out so that she can get her mind off of things," Piper expressed. 

Her voice was soft yet persuasive. Thalia and I couldn't help but succumb to her words. We just couldn't deny any requests made by Piper for some reason. 

It was quite annoying actually. 

Piper smiled before pulling out of the parking lot. 

Taylor Swift started playing on the radio, and we jammed out to her music for the entire ride. No one could deny that Shake It Off is one of the best party songs of all time. 

We reached the mall in just under 20 minutes. Piper always drove fast, but this was a new record for us. 

We walked into Macy's first. Hazel texted the group chat that she and Rachel were at the women's shoe section. Thalia instantly groaned after reading the text aloud as we made our way towards the second floor. It made sense that Thalia was groaning. She only wears one kind of shoes, and those were leather black boots with silver ankle spikes. 

Rachel and Hazel were looking at heels when we arrived. 

Piper immediately gushed over Rachel's selection of red stilettos. I rolled my eyes as Thalia disappeared to the boots section. 

"Annabeth, I'm so happy that you came. I know how much you hate shopping," Rachel said genuinely. 

She wrapped her arms around me, and I froze. I'm not much of a hugger. Regardless, I accepted Rachel's embrace and rubbed her back in comfort. 

Rachel and I had been friends for years now. She was one of the first people (after Thalia) that I met after moving to New York. One thing about Rachel was that she was more emotional and vulnerable than Thalia or me, but we loved her regardless. 

"Annabeth, I found some shoes for you as well," Rachel cheered. 

She moved away from me and picked up a pair of strappy gray pumps. While they looked very pretty, I would never wear them. 

My face probably looked disgusted as I stared at the heels. 

"Rachel, that's so kind, but when will I wear those?" I asked politely. 

"You'll wear them at a party or something. You'll wear them when the occasion comes along. I'm gonna buy them for you," Rachel said firmly. 

Before I could reject, Rachel turned away and packed the box. Hazel was already holding four boxes in her arms, and she seemed exhausted. 

I sighed at Rachel's stubbornness. Rachel was stubborn about her opinions. If she hated someone, she hated them. If she loved someone, she adored them. 

Right now, she hated Percy more than any of us. 

Piper seemed lost in thought as she gazed at Rachel. I knew where this was going, and I honestly wanted to leave. However, she caught my arm before I could walk away.