•❥𝟯៚𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲

You swallowed, feeling a lump form in your throat as you let out a shaky breath. A part of you wanted to just tell Rita to differ the call, but you just couldn't.

How Michael had figured out where you were so quickly, you didn't yet know, for you had not revealed it in your note.

So before you said anything else, you had to ask Rita.

"You didn't....leak any information of my whereabouts, did you?" you asked quietly.

"Ma'am, of course not - we were quite surprised to receive the call ourselves, that's why I wanted to check with you,"

You nodded to yourself, taking in a deep breath. "A-Alright, I'll...I'll take the call,"

Rita seemed to have picked up on your nervousness.

"Are you certain, ma'am?"

"Yes," you answered, even though it didn't sound very convincing.

"Alright, ma'am, I'm transferring the call right now - it'll take a moment," she stated before the line seemed to be put on hold.

You waited with bated breath as the line transferred, and as soon as you were connected, the silence spoke more than anything else could.

There was no doubt that Michael was on the other end, and he knew that you were on the line as well - even though neither of you said anything for a good minute.

Finally, he broke the silence.

"I read the note," his voice was hoarse, and you could tell that he was distraught.

It broke your heart, but you couldn't turn back now.

Taking time away already felt right, even though it hurt like hell.

"I'm sorry," you whispered sadly.

"(Y/N), you know that I can't live if living is without you," he spoke lowly, taking in a shaky breath. "But if...what you said, in your note, is truly how you feel....I just...I want you to let me support you. If you want to stay at a distance from me right now, I understand....but please, don't cut contact with me completely. I'm relieved that you even agreed to take this call....and I'm asking you not to refuse doing it again,"

Your heart fluttered a little as you took in a deep breath. "W-Wouldn't....it....be easier if...we just...didn't speak to each other? You know our emotions will get in the way,"

"No, (Y/N). I can live with anything but that. I....I promise I won't pressure you into coming back home. I just...I want to be able to talk to you, to know that you're okay," he responded. "Out of respect for your decision, I won't even come down to see you unless you want me to. Please, (Y/N), I...love you, you know this,"

You managed a small, but sad laugh. "And I love you more," you remembered his words from the night before, and you just knew he had broken into a sad smile, even though you couldn't see him. "But the thing is...I don't trust myself. I know that eventually, I'll want to see you again, even when I shouldn't,"

"Whenever you want me, I'm yours - you don't need to stay with me just yet. You can still see me when you want, and return to your own space if it feels right," he was clearly distraught at the idea of losing you completely. "Just don't...don't cut yourself off completely. Please,"

"See, this is why I shouldn't have taken your call," you joked, even though neither of you were particularly merry. "Because I'm already making compromises, even though I promised myself I wouldn't,"