{Chapter 8}

-Destiny-

I assumed that I would wake up back at the red flowered meadow, but that was not the case. Instead, I woke up in my very familiar bedroom, my cover pulled up to rest under my chin. I felt something rather wet on my forehead, and when I slithered my hand out to touch whatever was on my forehead, another hand stopped me. Slight waves of electric current ran through my body, the current coming through that very hand that was holding my own.

"It is only a wet rag. You were running a slight fever, so I needed to cool you down," a deep and familiar voice spoke to me, irritation easily detected within the worried tone.

I glanced up to spot Leo hovering over me. His eyes were a dark gray and glaring at me. I cringed under his glare, not liking the unpleasant feeling that it passed throughout me. He must have noticed my uneasiness because his glare vanished, but his anger-filled aura did not.

"Why were you out in the forest?" Leo asked me, completely irritated.

I sighed, not meeting his intense gaze. "I needed some fresh air. It sucks to be cooped up in this ole cabin all the time."

"You could have said something. I would have walked with you when I got home," he pointed out.

I rolled my eyes. "You get home rather late, Leo, and I wanted daylight to see my surroundings. I didn't mean to go off far, though."

He huffed and sat down in the chair next to my bed. "Well, you went very far out! I found you three miles away from our house! Three miles! Do you have any idea as to what is out there?!"

"Well I would if I was allowed to get out more!" I argued back.

"I don't want to argue with you, Emmy, but you need to know this. There are creatures out there that will be able to sense your power! Who knows what horrid experiments that could perform on you just to harness that power for their own being!" Leo rubbed his eyes, clearly frustrated with me.

I reached out and held Leo's hand, caressing it. "Leonardo...look. I'm fine and alive. I have no cuts or bruises on me. I'm perfectly healthy, and I had no one follow me."

Suddenly, Leo stood up and crawled into the bed to lay beside me. He twirled my curls around and smiled slightly, but a hint of fear crossed his eyes. "You don't know that for sure, love. Anyone could have watched you from afar today. Perhaps their intentions wasn't to capture you today, but the next time you go outside...alone."

I snuggled into Leo's warmth, enjoying how safe he made me feel. "But I had to find Nix. I couldn't leave her all alone."

Suddenly, it dawned on me. Nix! Did Leo bring her back as well? I didn't see her anywhere.

"Nix is safe, Emmy. She's in the kitchen eating. I brought her back too," he whispered to me, gently kissing my forehead.

I sighed in relief. "Good then."

"But please. Do not ever do that again, Emmy. I don't know what I would do if...if.." Leo couldn't finish as his voice broke slightly.

I pouted and held him close to me, running my fingers through his hair. "It's okay, Leo Wolfie-Pants. I won't ever ever leave you."

I heard him chuckle. "Leo Wolfie-Pants? I thought you grew out of that one."

I shook my head. "It was always there. I was just waiting for the perfect time to call you that."

"You know...I did hear these voices while I was outside, but they weren't talking. They were singing," I admitted after a while.

"Singing? What do you mean?" he asked.