{Chapter 6}

-Destiny-

"Um...mates?" I repeated, glancing at Leo curiously.

He nodded and smiled, walking closer to me. He wrapped his arms around me and led me over toward the living room couch, where we sat together.

"What do you know already about mates?" he asked.

"I only know one thing really, and that's the key concept that mates are two beings paired together by the Fated Council. You know who they are based on scent," I told him, remembering the brief conversation that I had with my mother about mates.

Leo smiled slightly wider and pulled me closer to him. "That you are right, Emmy."

I became even more curious. "Why are you being if the subject up?"

"You are sixteen years of age, now. Females usually find their mates, beginning at this age. I thought that now would be the time that you know everything," he explained to me.

"But I am a numb shifter. What reason would my mate want me? I'm a worthless waste of space to most," I mumbled out.

A sudden growl was heard and I snapped my head upwards and gasped when I saw Leo's face. His eyes were no longer the stone gray that I had known. They had darkened to match the color of his pupil, no white present in his eyes. His lips were pulled back to reveal his impressive set of canines. To most, this would cause utter fear, but for me, I was use to this side of him. He showed it often back at the pack due to my constant bullying.

"Leo...Leo, it's alright. I'm fine. I didn't mean to upset you. Oh Leo. I'm so sorry," I whispered to him as I caressed his cheek, trying to calm him down.

I gasped once more when Leo pulled me into his arms, holding me close to his chest. I relaxed and listened to his steady heartbeat as he rubbed my back gently. He was so warm and gentle, causing my mind to become at peace. All worries vanished from my inner mind.

"You are anything but a worthless waste of space. You are my everything, Emmy. My reason to wake up in the mornings, my reason to work these ridiculous jobs, and simply my reason to be alive. Without you, I am nothing. I am nothing without my little Emmy."

With widened eyes and a sightly gaped mouth, I picked up my head from Leo's chest and looked up at him, seeing that his eyes were now back to their wonderful soft gray. He smiled fondly down at me and leaned closer. My breath hitched. What was he doing?

He was now merely an inch or so from my lips. "I know for a fact that your mate loves you very much, Emmy."

A small smile formed on my lips. I knew where he was going with this, but I decided to play along. "Oh? And how do you know? Have you been going out for a cup of coffee with him on weekends?"

He snorted slightly. "Oh, please. I know because I am that mate, little one."

Before I could respond, he crashed his lips against my own. The kiss was so meaningful, so passionate. I couldn't help but kiss back. He deepened the kiss for a few moments before pulling away. We panted in need of more air, but the smiles never left our faces.

"Wow! What a way to start off the mate explanation, eh?" I mocked him, poking his nose.

He pouted slightly before pulling me close again, pecking my lips. "Perhaps, but now I suppose that I should explain everything?"

I nodded, laying my head back down on his chest. The sound of his heartbeat was something that I knew for sure that I would become addicted to. "Start with our story. When did you find out that I was your mate?"

"It was the day you were born, actually. My family had stopped by the hospital to visit your parents. You weren't in the room yet, out in the testing room with the doctor. But when you came in...this amazing scent engulfed me. Despite being only eight, I was already feeling the urge to protect you. I stood by your mother, watching you. They were planning to send you away, off to an adoption center I guess. However, I wouldn't allow them. They could see why, and you were allowed to stay." he explained softly to me.

My eyes slightly watered. "So even them I was to be sent away? It was only our bond that kept me..." I couldn't finish. I didn't know what else to say.

"My little one, my love. Do not let their ignorance upset you. It worked out all right in the end," he whispered to me, rocking me.

"It's still working out," I corrected him.

He sat up, placing me in his lap. "What do you mean?"

"A war is coming, Leo. A war that I will lead. That is what the Fated Council was meaning," I suddenly said, not really knowing where I thought of this information.

He growled softly, pulling me to him tightly. "You're not fighting in any war, Emmy. You're my mate. You have to stay alive, and I must protect and love you."

I smiled. "Never mind what I just said. Tell me more about mates."

"Alright then. We are chosen mates, but we aren't full mates quite yet. To be that, we need to go through the mating process," Leo informed me, playing with my hair.

"The mating process? What's that?" I asked.

He continued to play with my hair. "The mating process has three steps to it. The first step is recognition, which is what we went through just now. It is when both the male and female know that they are mates. This step takes longer if one is human or, in our case, the pair is too young to know. The second step is the engagement mark. This is when the male wolf bites his chosen mate on the crook between her neck and shoulders. It's much like how a human male gifts his intended with an engagement ring. The final process is the traditional lycan bonding ceremony."

I nodded. "Is the ceremony like a wedding?"

"Yes, but it is much more bonding than simple vows," he said.

"What happens at the ceremony?" I asked.

Leo chuckled a bit. "It is tradition that the females know nothing about what events and such take place at a bonding ceremony."

I wrinkled my nose and snorted. "That sounds a bit sexist if you ask me."

"Not sexist, my dear. Just traditional," he chuckled out.

I shook my head, sighing and snuggling closer to Leo. We remained this way for a while.

"I'm sleepy," I admitted after an hour, yawning a rather embarrassing squeaky yawn.

Leo chuckled. "I suppose I'll just carry you to your room."

I clung to him as he stood up, readjusting me in his arms before carrying me down the hallway. He walked into my room and pulled back my covers, laying me down gently onto my soft bed. He covered me up and swiftly pecked my lips.

"Goodnight, my sweet Emmy," he whispered to me.

I smiled sleepily up at him. "Goodnight, my goofy Leo."

Chuckling softly, Leo walked out of my room.

I snuggled into my covers, which had a red butterfly pattern to it. That was odd...my covers were red and black last I saw them. I ignored the thought for now and slowly fell asleep.

I had one last thought before I allowed the darkness to welcome me, and that was the wonderment of how I suddenly had various items with red butterflies on them.

A/N hey guys! I hope that you guys are enjoying my book! And a little question. What do you guys think the red butterflies mean or represent?

Shoutouts to: NerdzeeBookster, DRAGONEYE420 and nadiafarjana for commenting last chapter!

Please:

Vote

Comment

Share

Follow

Spread