"I gave you my answer. There is nothing you can—"

"If I were to inform you I was going to be a father, what would be your response? What if I told you I was wrong back on Earth?"

That brought him to a halt as he approached the door to the balcony overlooking the gardens. Pearl enjoyed the view of the gardens from her own balcony. She refused to go outside to see them herself. For some reason, she was afraid of the Enuki men that populated this planet—and my mother, who resided in the eastern wing of this grand palace.

Pearl never left her room. Another battle I had yet to conquer. She could not lock herself away. This palace was hers as it was mine.

He turned slowly. "You toy with me."

"No. Think of our father, Shadrach. Do you understand my reasoning for wanting to leave?"

Enukis were susceptible to the whims of children and their well-being. All save my father, which Shadrach knew all too well. Our father cared for his sons, but we rarely saw him. He was far too preoccupied with preparing himself to assume leadership of our planet; far too preoccupied with navigating the stars.

My intention was to not be this way.

"Yes," he said, tilting his head. "Damn you. Let me think about this, then."

"Very well."

I stood up and examined the books on his shelf, noting the accumulation of dust. He exited the room and made his way to the balcony.

I let him be.

It has been a century since Shadrach last visited this place. The opulent atmosphere with no technological advancements rendered it impossible to sustain his attention. I used to feel the same.

Now, I pictured my child running over the gilded hallways, the sound of tiny, running feet echoing off the chandeliers and pillars of our native marble. Bringing life to a place that a few centuries ago was swallowed by smoke and death.

It relieved me to be home.

I grabbed a book and flipped through the silver pages. Even though each word had been absorbed into Osa and I could memorize its entirety in a matter of seconds, I could understand the desire to read. Allowing oneself, for a moment, to focus on one thing only.

I will take your place. But I have a condition, he told me through our bond. He was contemplating the night sky. I had no understanding as to why he refused to verbalize this, but perhaps he sincerely desired solitude.

I slid the text back into its place. What is your condition?

We are in need of more council members. If you are to leave and I take place as head of the council when Qhin dies, that leaves us one short. Does it not?

You want to give an Enuki a seat on the council. Who?

He had caught me by surprise; not an easy feat for my kind. My mind was quick to go through the Enukis here on Nibiru, and every one of them was nowhere near knowledgeable or competent.

I infiltrated his thoughts.

He was going over my recent decision to the council: declaring Earth under the protection and sanction of the Enuki, as agreed upon by the Elders. He was particularly interested in this.

François, he answered.

When I said nothing and moments turned to minutes, he came inside, snowing on me with an icy glare.

"I am perplexed," he said. "I expected you to reprimand me for even suggesting such a thing. It is not unknown to me that the very idea would cause outrage amongst our kind. Yet she is knowledgeable and astute. You have placed Earth under our protection; for Pearl and for your child. Should François not have a seat as a representative of her planet?"