Not Guilty

Chapter Eight

While the citizens of New Rome scrambled to watch the trial of Perseus Jackson, Centurion of the Fourth Cohort, and Son of Neptune, so too did the gods on Olympus, each tuning in on Vulcan TV, hidden cameras inside the court house, so while only those who made it inside could watch, any god or immortal was able to. In the Olympian throne room, the council was divided, with some gods, led by Neptune, supporting his son, while others, led by Apollo, demanded his death. Others, most importantly Jupiter, remained neutral, not willing to commit to a side.

The council became silent as the trial began, with the Praetor, Reyna, beginning the proceedings. Diana wasn't sure what side she would support. On one hand, Neptune was right, the augur had insulted him gravely, and Perseus had defended the honour of his father, and if it had been one of her hunters, she would defend him the same way that Neptune was. On the other hand, regardless of what he said, the Augur was sacrosanct, and was not supposed to be harmed. She began listening to the prosecution, who was grilling Perseus heavily.

"And before this... confrontation... you were reported as to beating the augur heavily, correct?" The lawyer asked, another legacy of Apollo, though this one was older.

"We engaged on the Field of Mars, where all legion related activity occurs. Surely you haven't forgotten that the augur, at the time of the incident, was also a Senior Centurion is the legion." Perseus responded. "Any injuries he obtained during his service are something any legionary is expected to receive. I was beaten by my cousin several times, and I'm sure even you did during your time in the legion."

Mercury chuckled, clearly enjoying the show before him.

"But this means that you had no issues with harming an augur?" The lawyer asked, earning a growl from Neptune. The lawyer representing Perseus rose rapidly.

"Objection, your honour, loaded question!" The lawyer exclaimed, and the judge sustained it. Perseus whispered something to him, and the judge paused.

"Ask the question once more, councillor. The defendant will answer." That surprised Diana, as she knew what the implications of a wrong answer would have.

"Due to your previous confrontation, is it reasonable to say that you had no issue harming the augur?" The prosecutor asked.

"I had no issue harming Octavian as a Centurion, and as a person, but when he addressed me, on the field, where training fights are common, I refused to be insulted. When I beat him to the ground, he was a Centurion." Perseus answered.

"And when you snapped his neck?" The prosecutor asked with a smirk.

"When he insulted my father, claiming he was an untrustworthy god, he lost his right to life. Even as the Augur of New Rome, all know that insulting an Olympian, especially one of the elder ones, is a death sentence." Perseus said, this time addressing the jury. "If it had been Jupiter, none would have batted an eye, but since it was Neptune, it was acceptable, because he wasn't important. Romans believe that Neptune dislikes them, but answer me this, if Neptune didn't want us to succeed, would we have defeated Carthage at sea, in the First Punic War? Would Augustus have triumphed over Antony and his foreign queen, who worshiped false gods, if Neptune had not guided our navy at Actium?"

Diana had to admire the boy's political acumen. He had turned this trial into a moral scolding. He had quickly forced the jurors to admit to themselves that because it was Neptune, and not Jupiter, or even Mars, the insult was tolerated, whereas had it been the other two, it would have been met with further retribution.

"I said it before the senate, and I'll say it now. I saved Octavian from a lifetime of torture at the hands of my father. I saved him from the pain of having offended an Olympian God. I do not regret my actions, because they were not unfounded." Perseus declared. "I defended the honour of my father. Can anyone truly say the same of their own parents, who Octavian mocked and belittled, allowing their shrines to fall into disrepair? Allowing funds allocated to the Augury to go to improving the shrines of Jupiter and Apollo, while the others, those of Mars, Neptune, Bellona, Ceres, Juno, Vulcan, all major gods, went untended, but for their children?"

And just like that, Perseus had won. They all knew it, and even Apollo, stubborn Apollo, recognized it. He grunted, but said nothing. Jupiter rose from his throne, grasping his Master Bolt.

"They boy speaks truly." He declared. "Mars, go and proclaim his innocence. Let the Romans know they need a new augur. And claim that boy of yours."

Mars nodded, and vanished in a flash, before appearing in the midst of the courthouse.

"I come before you, direct from Olympus, on the orders of Jupiter himself!" Mars declared. "Perseus Jackson is innocent, and not at fault. You are to choose a new augur, one not blinded by personal ambition. Do not fail us again."

He paused, and the Romans closed their eyes, expecting him to vanish.

"Frank Zhang!" Mars declared, and a tall, bulky demigod rose. "I claim you, a Son of Mars, destined for greatness, for glory."

Then, the god began shining, and everyone truly closed their eyes. The message sizzled out, and Mars reappeared in the throne room, pleased with himself. The gods waited for Jupiter to speak.

"Apollo, you are not to pursue this further." He ordered, before turning to his brother. "Because your son is in the right, he lives. He is respectful to us, and for that, he also lives. But do not forget, just because he is your son, he is not safe."

Neptune nodded, but Diana noticed the way that his grip tightened on his trident. Then he vanished, the smell of salt left in his wake. She sighed, wishing she could return to her hunt, but unfortunately, she was still restricted by the orders of Zeus. Instead, she decided to watch Perseus, to get an idea on the type of man he was. The sight she witnessed amused her greatly. The Centurion of the Fourth was currently cowering as the Praetor, Reyna, wailed on him with her fists. The other Centurion of the Fourth, Leila, and the newly claimed son of Mars, Frank Zhang, watched on, not sure on what to do.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Perseus was repeating. "By the gods! Reyna, please!"

Diana knew the two were intimate, yet here was the Son of Neptune, the Slayer of Krios, letting a girl beat down on him, refusing to defend himself. It was endearing, in a way. She swiped her hand through the message, a small smile on her face, though she quickly cleared it when she saw Apollo looking at her oddly.

MMXVII

AN: Hope you enjoyed! Jupiter, as a Roman God, is more just and fair the Zeus, the paranoid Greek asshole. That's why Percy isn't killed. Also, plot armour, duh. Sorry I didn't post sooner! My internet had been out for a few days, and it just now came back up!

Cheers, CombatTombat