Discussions and a bit of Prenya

Chapter Five

The day after Reyna was elected Praetor, she came to visit Percy. He was in his villa, which was on the outskirts of New Rome, and had been a gift from the Senate for his role fighting Krios. He suspected Lupa had something to do with it, but he didn't say anything to her. He had been writing reports when the doorbell rang, so he got up from his desk, threw on a shirt, and opened the door. He was pleasantly surprised to see her.

"Praetor." He greeted with a dip of his head. "This is a surprise, please, come in."

He stood aside as she entered, moving like a lioness stalking her prey, careful, measured steps. Two mechanical hounds loped in after her, one made of silver, and the other of gold. He blinked, but remained silent.

"Want a coffee?" He asked her. "I just put a new pot on a few minutes ago."

"That would be great, thank you." Reyna responded politely, so Percy padded into the kitchen, retrieved two mugs, and poured some coffee for the both of them, returning with the steaming mugs in each hand. Reyna accepted it silently, and nodded in thanks. Percy was sure that if a mortal had come across this scene, they would have been immensely confused. Two sixteen-year-olds in a house together were supposed to be doing... other... things, not drinking coffee and discussing an army. But neither Percy nor Reyna were regular sixteen-year-olds. They were demigods, and legionnaires at that.

"You had me elected." Reyna finally said, watching him closely. The dogs made much more sense now. Percy put his mug on a coaster, and leaned back into his seat.

"I made it known that I support you as Praetor, but I didn't manipulate the elections outside of that. Surprisingly, I'm respected enough, and powerful enough, that people like to listen to what I have to say." Percy said carefully, aware that the conversation they were having wasn't really happening. "But you did win the election on your own merit, not solely because I supported you. Even you know that."

One of the dogs, Aurum, sat by his side, and he idly pat the dogs head, much to Reyna's surprise.

"What are you doing?" She asked him, and he arched an eyebrow at her.

"He's still a dog."

"An Automaton Dog."

"Yeah, but dog's in the name, therefore I'm right." He smirked at her, and she shook her head in amusement. "But the election, nor your dogs, are the reason you're here, so, Praetor, what can I do for you?" The question was innocent enough, but both knew that her reasons would have some implications for politics in Rome for the foreseeable future. This was also one of the few places that was completely safe from outside influence.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"I don't believe that Jason was the right choice for Praetor." She said after a moment of silence.

"The legion would disagree with you." Percy responded, not displaying any of his feelings on the matter. Reyna knew she'd have to press harder.

"The legion was manipulated by those who thought they could control the son of Jupiter." She told him, and Percy nodded idly to himself. Realization struck her quickly. Percy knew that others had placed Jason as Praetor over him. Of course, he knew. Despite what others believed, Reyna knew Percy to be one of the most cunning and observant people she knew. She supposed seven years with Lupa would have assisted that immensely.

"Oh, they most certainly were, though your assumption behind why he was chosen is incorrect." Percy stated, still emotionless, showing the statesman he truly was. "The alternative to the Centurion who destroyed Saturn's Black Throne, an impressive feat, to be sure, was the Centurion who defeated a titan, an even more impressive feat. Had the members of my Cohort been faster, I'm sure they would have tried to raise me instead, and none could've done anything to argue it."

"And that doesn't bother you?" She asked him, earning a shrug in response.

"I don't covet power." He replied, before raising a hand to cut off her protest. "I know, it's not very Roman-like, but do you know what my fatal flaw is?"

Reyna didn't, so she shook her head.

"It's personal loyalty." He told her. "One of my father's best traits, his undying loyalty to those that have earned it. I don't need power, I really don't, because, as the Son of Neptune, I have it. What I need is those I can rely on, those who I can give my loyalty to. The Legion is great for me, because it gives me that general basis to be loyal to."

"And who are you loyal to, Percy?" She asked him, feeling particularly bold.

"First and foremost, Lupa." He replied, surprising her once more. "Oh, don't look so surprised, she raised me, after all. My father is next, followed by Rome." He gave her a teasing grin. "Is that what you want, Praetor? You want to be one of those I'm loyal to?"

She had to admit, it did sound nice, having someone who believed in her, and would help her, simply because of who she was, but it wasn't her intention when she arrived. Still, this game was intoxicating, and they both knew it.

"And if I do? What would you do then?" She hadn't realized that she was leaning forward now, her nose touching Percy's.

"I'd say that you have to earn it first, mea femina." He responded, his voice low and husky.

Reyna lunged forward, smashing her lips to his as his arms snaked around her hips. His lips tasted of salt and... seaweed? She didn't mind it at all, but eventually pulled away, breathless, with swollen lips, though he had the same issue as her.

"Where's your bedroom?" She asked him, only to be yanked up when he stood, forcing her to wrap her legs around his waist.

"Let me show you." He whispered in her ear before nipping it.

Now this, was what a regular mortal would have expected to come from two sixteen-year-olds together in a house, alone. They were human, after all.

MMXVII

AN: Right, so that's probably the closest I'll ever get to writing a lemon, but who knows, maybe I'll decide one day to actually write one. Anyways, this takes place a couple months before Jason vanishes, so Percy and Reyna will have the beginning of a relationship before he vanishes, which will also play into their rivalry that's starting to form. Hope you enjoyed, and as always, leave a review, they are incredibly helpful.

Cheers to CombatTombat