102

After endless hours in the car we pull up to a gas station to grab food and go to the bathroom. I'm still under Harry's shirt, clung to him like at any moment they'll take me away from him. Sleeping in his chest he rubs my back. "Wake up, baby."

Opening my eyes and letting a small groan pass my lips I shake my head and wrap my hands around his waist. Tears still stain my cheeks and I just feel so empty.

Harry huffs, "you gotta go get some air."

"Someone will see us."

"Here," Niall calls. "There's some hoodies back here. Put it on," tossing me a hoodie I stare at it but stay put.

"Darling, nobody knows who we are except for them. We're not on the run from the government." Soothing my back I tilt my chin up to stare at him.

"I feel safe in here."

It's like those worlds break his heart. He hates that he can't protect me from what's going on. "I promise you that what's outside isn't going to hurt you."

I sniff, "can you come with me?"

"Of course."

As doors open and close from the others getting out I slide out from under his shirt. Liam and Bella stay in here to keep watch as we take shifts. They have the cat up front with them. Im glad he's okay.

Letting the shirt fall back to his chest he brushes my hair behind my ear as I reach for the black hoodie. Pulling it over my body I bring the hood to my head. Harry does the same, pulling on a blue hood.

Harry opens the door, holding my waist as he steps out and sets me on the ground. He stares at my ankle, looking at me for signs of discomfort that I dont show.

"At least I know how to punch now." After years away from my father I don't feel guilty if I hit someone. But it's usually playful. "Look." I flex my muscles that are non-existant in the oversized hoodie. 

"I know," he smirks, pulling on the string of my hoodie. "My badass. You never have to be scared when you got these muscles." Placing his hands on my arms he squeezes it. His sad face rises in a wide smile.

Dropping my arms I raise my fist and punch him softly in the arm. He fake winces, holding himself.

"Ouch."

I giggle. It sounded like a mixture of emotions and in return he only wraps a hand around my shoulder as we walk to the small gas station. "Your ankle feeling better?"

I nod. I can't form the words. With my head leaning on his shoulder we get to the door and he opens it for me. A bell rings and I bend under his arm as I walk inside.

Rows of candy, tourist shirts, hygiene products and everything you would ever need is in the store with a bright white light.

Niall and Lia are buying candies along with the others who have toothbrushes and perfumes, storing up on snacks for the trip. I wrap my hand around Harry's sweatshirt. His hand presses to my back as he bends down to my height, his lips to my ear.

"Whats wrong?"

"Can you come to the bathroom with me?"

"Yeah." leading us to the back room the bright lights begin to flicker and I bite on my cheek. In the single-stall washroom, I open it and step inside. Its all black and I shut my eyes in a small gasp. "Here, I got it, Vi." Soon the lights flicker on and I step inside as he closes the door. Locking it I stand in the middle of the room as he turns to face me. "Whats wrong?" in a sorrowful voice I begin to wipe my eyes.