xi.

- ▪︎ ¤ ✡ ¤ ▪︎ -

Ketterdam was a pretty dark place. The people- or what Kaz called them "pigeons"- had two moods: drunk as hell or sad as fuck. Nikolai told me he already bought us a room, if you could call that shithole a room, and we should settle in.
"Nikolai" he turned and looked at me with his beautiful eyes "I wont take another step until you tell me what we're doing here"
He sighed and dropped our bags to the floor. He ran a hand through his hair, letting out a long breath.
"Freya, darling" he stepped closer. Keeping the eye contact. "I've already told you, we're here for business with Mr. Brekker."
"How do you even know him?" Brekker seemed insanely young.
"I've got to know him in my Strumhond years. We...helped this country to be free again."
I just nodded and walked past him to our room. When I walked it, it was way better than what I imagined. It was pretty elegant. It had big windows, with white courtains. A blackish carpet and- and one single bed.
Fantastic.
Absolutely fucking fantastic.
"Uh, NIkolai?" I called for him, he was struggling a bit with our packages so he only let out a small 'hm'. "I think you made a mistake"
He let out a bitter laugh.
"I've told you a thousand times, I never make a mistake, but do go on"
"There is only one bed. How are we gonna sleep in here? I can go down and talk to-"
"There is no need for that. We'll manage." He sent me a wink and walked in the room. I was stunned and a bit blushing too.
I mean it's not the first time when we're sleeping together, but it's still uncomfortable.

I walked behind him, and put my things down.
"So what kind of business will you and Mr. Brekker talk about? I wanna hear it." I was, not gonna lie, interested about this whole 'secret business' thing, so I had to ask. "Is it about murder? Money? Suicide? Kidnapping? Cheating? What kind of business? Is it ab-"
I was cut off by a hand on my lips. I finger actually, Nikolai's finger.
"Freya, please." He pleaded, his lashes resting on his cheeks. "Don't worry about it. I'll handle it" That's where everything went wrong, at that sentence.

- ▪︎ ¤ ✡ ¤ ▪︎ -

It was about two in the morning when someone knocked on the door. I thought it was some misguieded person, searching for his room. Nikolai was sleeping peacefully on the floor. I went around the bed to open the door. It creaked a bit, but i opened it easily. When I did open it someone fell into my arms. It was definitely a man, he was really heavy. He just groaned and whined in pain. I wasn't sure if he was in pain or just insanely drunk. When i got a better look at him, I knew who it was.
Of course it was him.
It's always him.
"Nikolai" I whispered. "What happened?" I slowly helped him to get on his feet and to bring him to the bed. I now realized, in the dim light. His clothes were torn apart and bloody. His hair was messy and it had dirt in it. On his right leg was a huge cut and on his torso another. "Nikolai," I whispered again, my voice breaking "wh-what happened to you? Please" I cried "Please answer to me!" I shouted, a bit too harsh than what I expected.
He just looked at me and smiled softly. "I always thought you were really sexy when you were angry" he laughed at his own bad joke. I just stared at him, wide eyed.
"I hate you so much" I helped him on the bed, when he grabbed my arm and pulled on top of him. I was now straddling him. I looked down and he was looking at me, pleased. It looked like he wasn't in any pain anymore. He was just enjoying this.
Me. He was enjoying me.
On top of him.
"O-oh sorry. I just-" i tried to remove my right leg, but he grabbed it.
"No, don't be. I want it this way."
"I'm heavy, Nikolai. And you're hurt. I have to tell someone. Call a medik, i don't know. " I had tears in my eyes when I looked at him "I have to do something."
"You can do this one little thing"
He sat up now, me still on his lap.
I knew what was gonna happen, and I didn't want it to.
"Nikolai. I-i can't do that. I-"
I was cut off again. I was surprised that it wasn't by his lips, though. His palm was pressed against my mouth and he seemed alarmed. I grabbed his hand, trying to remove it, but it was useless.
"Stay quiet" he finally said it and we sat in silence for what it felt like an hour. "Someone is looking for me" I heard footsteps and I did what he asked. The footsteps came closer and the left again, slamming the door of the Barrel.
"That was close" He said as he looked to the door and back to my face. "Now, where were we?" He removed his hand and moved it to my waist, his other hand playing with my hair, tucking it behind my ear. I put my hand on his, slowly pulling it away.
"I won't do this, I'm sorry. I can only help you to get better not t-to bring you..." I trailed off looking away and taking another chance of getting off of him.
I didn't work.
He pushed me down, and I was laying on my back. He was now on top of me. He pinned my wrists above my head and whispered in my ear.
"You can't escape me, darling, " he hummed "not this time."
He pressed his lips to mine. It was soft and it tasted like the sea.
Fresh and tasty.
"I, uh" he was trailing small kisses down my neck and collarbone.
"Nikolai, st-"
"You can only tell me to stop, if I let you. Don't forget that you're laying under a king, after all" he smirked at the last part and I returned the favour with a small kiss on his lips.
He sat up for minute just to remove his already ripped shirt. His body wasn't that big and muscular, but it was really...sexy.
He then removed my shirt and then I realized that I wasn't wearing anything under it.
"Nikolai, I don't have a bra on"
"Oh, no problem sweetheart, another thing I don't have to remove on my own."
I blushed deeply at that comment and I just let him to do what he wanted.

- ▪︎ ¤ ✡ ¤ ▪︎ -

I've woken up in the middle of the night. Wrapped up in his arms, i felt a sort of safety and comfort that I've never felt.
I turned around to stare at him, his arms flexing around my waist.
I pushed his hair out of his eyes, my fingers brushing against his eyelids, making him yawn a little. I giggled and without opening his eyes he spoke.
"You know love, it's not polite to stare"
"I wasn't staring, just admiring the uh sunbeams! Yes!" I said, probably shouting a bit.
"Oh god, don't shout Freya, its seven in the morning" he said it with his sleepy voice. "Come here, I don't wanna get out of bed"
"Oh but you should."
Nikolai looked at me and I looked at him, realizing that none of us said that sentence.
"What the h-" I turned and screamed. I immediatley covered myslef by snuggling closer to Nikolai, hiding my half-naked body from whoever was creeping in our room. Kaz was standing in the corner of our room, with a shadow behind him. It mus be a woman or a girl, she was really slim.
"Oh you're awake!" He says sarcastically "Good Morning lovebirds, I hope you slept well. And now, get out of bed and meet me in the first floor in 5 minutes. " he just left the room, the shadow figure following behind him. She glanced back and a ghost of a smile appeared on her lips.
I stood up in the bed, stunned.
"How long was he in this room?" I faces him, he was wearing the same stunned expression. "Did he see me half-naked?"
Nikolai was staring at the wall, softly nodding. "He's crazy." Was all he said and then got out of bed. "Is there a bathroom somewhere?" He asked.
I was taken away for bit.
I almost forgot how perfect his body is .
"U-uh yea yea, at the end of the hall" he must've noticed that I was staring and probably drooling too, beacuse the next thing he said was "care to join me for a shower?"
I was taken away by that, too.

- ▪︎ ¤ ✡ ¤ ▪︎ -

The shower was long, hot and steamy.
The best shower I've ever taken.
When we walked out of the bathroom, only a towel on our bodies, the people glanced at us and a few girls giggled when Nikolai walked past with only a towel on his waist. Me, as a really jealous person, had to do something about it. I flicked my wrists and a sudden wind destroyed the girls perfect hair and make-up. I was more than pleased with myself.
"Come now Freya, we have work to attend to"
Nikolai's voice snapped me out of my daydreaming as he was putting on some fresh clothes, I did the same, turning in the other direction.
"Why are you being like this? It's not like there's anything I haven't seen before" he said smirking and I threw a pillow at him.
"That doesn't mean that you can see it anytime you want it. You have to wait for it, it's not for free" I said pulling my shirt over my head. I could feel his eyes slowly scanning my body as  I turned around to face him.
"Uh" he cleared his throat "I see you're done, lets go down, shall we?" I nod and head ro the door. He follows me, locking the door behind him as he walks out.
"Who was that girl with him?" I ask. He probably knows more than I do.
"I don't really know, but I heard people call her 'The Wraith' so that must mean something" or probably he doesn't know anything either.
"Oh yeah, sure" I say numbly, deep in my daydreams as always.
As we reached the first floor we saw caz and the shadowy figure with 4 more people. They looked like they were all the same age, only a blonde man looked older.
"Good Morning, ladies and gentleman" Nikolai greeted as he took a seat and I took one next to him.
"Now that we're all here" started caz "I'd like to thank you all for coming." He leaned back in his seat, taking off his hat and setting it on the table.
"I have a job for you all.
Are you in?"

- ▪︎ ¤ ✡ ¤ ▪︎ -