prologue;

"you never know what a blessing is to fly, until you're caged up"

throwback to 5 years ago

It was a rainy and stormy day.

All the grisha soldiers were inside the little palaces walls. I was there too. Sitting in the dining room. The fire was warm. And the air was heavy. It was almost burning my cheeks. I liked it. I liked the warm. The fire wasn't the only thing keeping me company. Someone was sitting beside me. Close. So very close. His arms around my torso, keeping me close to him.

"Hm, I like this" I whispered "I like this warm and I like being in your arms"He chuckled "I like it, too. I like these rainy days and I love spending it with you, love" I blushed. I loved it when he called me 'love' or 'darling'.

But at the same time, i hated it. I was always worrying. Overthinking. It was tiring. I knew, we couldn't be seen together. We were different. Our blood. Our rank. Our everything. The only thing that was similar between us, is the way we felt for each other. We were in love. It was not a question. And the most hurtful part was, that it was coming to an end. We knew it, and we accepted it.

"General Kirigian, the queen and king requests your presence

"General Kirigian, the queen and king requests your presence." A guard came. He jumped from the seat beside me, I stood too. Pretending that we weren't just in each others arms.
"Yes, yes, I'm coming, just give me 2 seconds to say goodbye to this gorgeous lady beside me." He turned to me. His black eyes glimmering. He was smiling. He was genuinely happy. I wish it could've lasted forever. I wish we could've lasted forever.
"Goodbye darling, see you later" he leaned in closer and whispered in my ear "I want to meet you tonight. In my chambers." then he took my hand, and kissed my knuckles.

Like a real gentleman. He was indeed one.

"Goodbye, Aleksander" and then he walked out of the door.

I was still sitting before the fire. Thinking and dreaming. "Daydreaming" as would Genya say. At one time I fell asleep. I was woken up by the storm outside. I got up from the couch and made my way to Aleksander's chambers. When I got there, I was so nervous. I was about to knock when I heard voices inside.

He has company?

"You cannot do that, Aleksander. I am a royalty." a voice said "You can't just threaten me to leave my country. Ravka is not ready to loose such a handsome man."

There was some other arguing that I couldn't make out. And then, a gunshot.

And after that, everything changed.

- ▪︎ ¤ ¤ ▪︎ -