Chapter 20- Old Wounds

(~Your POV~)

"Y/N."

. . .

'... Who's there?'

All I remember is the darkness. It's been so quiet, I forgot about my life.

'Am I alive?'

It feels like my brain is running ten times slower as thoughts start to form. Why am I here? What happened? Where am I?

"Y/N!"

. . .

That voice.

'Mom...?'

"Y/N!!!"

I gasp, my eyes opening. Instead of the darkness, I'm sitting in the back seat of a car.

'WhErE aM I???'

My mom suddenly leans over from the front seat, gazing into the back seat, "My fierce little phoenix, you need put your seatbelt back on, sweetheart."

I'm stunned. Before I can even get my words out, I hear a voice to my left, "Just give me a second! I dropped my phone and it slid under the seat!"

'Wait- That sounded like, me?'

I turn to the sound, and see my younger self sitting in the seat to the left of me.

'The heck.. That's it, I'm dead.'

"Your father can pull over and get it at the next stop." "Yeah, Sweetheart. It won't be a problem! Just stay seated for now, okay? I don't want you to climb over the seat when we're on the road." My dad chimed in, glancing at me- well, my younger self, through the rear view mirror.

"UgH! DaD! I got it! This will only take a second, really!" Young me says, reaching over the row and climbing to the third row of the seats in the back. Staring at myself, I look around twelve years old.

'This.... This is when it happened..'

"Just give it up, Daddy. She can't live two seconds without her phone. She's texting that guy from school NoNsTOp." My sibling groans, sitting in the seat to my right. I remember they were always bored during car trips, so they'd watch all the cars we passed by on the interstate.

"ShUT uP (Sibling's Name)!" I screamed immaturely, jumping into the back seat. "Woah, Y/N! Don't speak to (him/her) that way! Second, why didn't you tell us you were texting someone?" My mom asks with a warning tone. She continues, "Maybe you should let us keep your phone for a little while. Your friend can text you after the trip."

"MoM! We just have a school project together! ThAt'S SO UnFAiR!..... Why should you care?!! ..you're gonna die soon anyways..." Younger me mumbled that last part, but it definitely wasn't low enough for my parents not to overhear.

My mom froze, the pained shock evident in her expression. Speechless, she faces forward again and hides her troubled face. I remember how much I silently regretted saying that.

My dad raises his voice, something that was rare to get out of him, "Y/N L/N! You will apologize to your mom and give her your phone! NoW!!"

My young self stays to the back corner of the seats, screaming, "YoU CAn'T DO thAt!!! MY FRIENDS ARE THE ONLY NORMAL THING I CAN HAVE IN THIS LIFE!!! IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, YOU'RE ALWAYS GONE AND MOM'S DYING!!"