Chapter 11

Quickly, the day for Fontaine's judgement arrived.

Lante walked into the place to see that the judgement room was filled with the important members of the Agriche family.

He was dressed finely and wore the seal of Agriche on his finger.

Fontaine was dragged into the room and some people became excited.

Fontaine's crime was read out loud.

Roxana and Dion then walked into the room.

Lante looked at them then looked back at the herald. Then all of a sudden, he noticed that something was wrong.

Everyone suddenly became still like statues. The place became silent.

The only sound that echoed in the room was the sound of Roxana's heels hitting the marble floor.

He was about to move to his seat which was positioned like the seat of the Emperor, high upon an elevated floor. However his body then became frozen. He couldn't move at all.

Something was strange. He couldn't say a word but could only stare as Roxana walked casually towards the throne meant for the head of the Agriche family.

The people who sat in the judgement room then began to fade away like a mirage and the only people that remained in the room was Lante, Dion, Roxana and a man wearing a black cloak.

Roxana finally got the throne then sat on leisurely. She rubbed the leather arm rest gently then smiled. "I've always wanted to sit down here. I've also wondered how it would feel like to look down from here.

No wonder you always feel so mighty! You look so tiny up from here. Magician, let him speak, I'd like to listen to my dear father's words"

"What? How dare you!"

"Don't be so angry father" She said sweetly as a flowery smile blossomed on her lips.

Lante's eyes wavered in anger and sadness.

"Father, have you ever doubted me?" She said sweetly and gently with an innocent look.

Lante knew that face very well. It was the expression and tone she had always used to speak to him. That was why he was convinced that she was loyal.

Yet here she was using that same tone and expression while sitting on his throne!

"It's all a play I've worked hard on to fool father" She said plainly with a mocking smile.

Lante tried to move but with that attempt he moved a bit, but into an even bigger magic circle which threw him to the ground.

Roxana nobly got up from the throne.

"It was father that always told me that affection and faithfulness between a parent and their child is all in vein. So why did you let your guard down?" She got closer to him then bent down and stared at him right in the eyes.

She chuckled "It's funny to see you helpless on the ground"

She looked deeper into Lante's eyes and sensed betrayal. But it wasn't the look of a father being betrayed by his daughter.

Instead it looked as if he felt he had been bitten by a dog he had been training.

"Haven't I been good while wagging my tail at you? But sorry to say that tail you've been seeing has always been a big lie"

Lante got tired of listening to Roxana and instead called out to Dion, his favorite child. "Dion! Help me!"

Dion walked closer to Lante and Roxana then unsheathed Hus sword.

Lante expected to see Roxana's head rolling on the ground the next second but was utterly shocked when he felt the cold metal touch the back of his neck.

Dion coldly pointed his sword at him.

"Dion don't kill him yet. He'll be useful"

The harsh reality came crashing down on Lante. He had been betrayed.