Chapter Nineteen

I waited patiently for the metro bus. In a week, it was going to be winter break. Finally, a break from all the drama. I checked the time and saw how late the bus was running.

I looked towards my left and saw Miah, one of Liam's friends, walking towards me.

"You're Gabby, right?" Miah asked. 

I looked towards her and nodded. "Yeah."

"Oh, I didn't know you take this stop." She put her phone into her pocket. 

"Yeah, I started taking it during freshman year."

"Ah, makes sense."

We both nodded and it suddenly became silent. The bus finally came and I sat in the seat I normally sat in. Usually, the bus was really crowded, however, it was super empty when I got on.

"Is it okay if I sit here?" Miah asked.

Though there were many other seats, I smiled. "Sure."

She sat beside me and sighed. "I know what your thinking, Liam's an fool."

I looked at her confused. I wasn't really thinking that but okay.

"I mean, yeah, I'm kind of mad," I told her. 

She placed a hand on my shoulder. "Honey, don't lie. We both know how you feel."

I chuckled but didn't reply. 

*****

As I was getting my books from my locker, I noticed Liam, talking to another girl. What is he? A player? I wanted to confront him about it but I chickened out and just headed to my class. 

I walked into the history doorway and I saw Ms. C standing near the door. She handed me a piece of paper. 

"Please sit down in your seats," she said. 

I nodded and entered the classroom. 

I saw Liam with the same girl he was with at our lockers. Who was she?

 I decided to sit in the back of the room. Away from Kathy or Liam. But instead, near my friend, Grace. 

"Hey, Grace," I said, smiling at her warmly. 

"Hi! What's up?" She said, looking up from her paper. "You don't usally sit back here. Something wrong?"

"I just want to do a good job on my test and get away from all distractions," I told her. 

She smiled at me. I sat down in my seat and started studying my paper as well. It was basically an instruction sheet for the test. 

"Heads up," Grace suddenly said.

I looked up. Great, Kathy was coming my way. 

"Heh. How are you, Gabby?" Kathy said, acting like my friend.

"It was good before you came here," I said. 

Some people started snickering around us. 

"Well, I came here to tell you that Liam and I are officially back together again!" She said, all cheerfully. She smiled evilly at me. 

I smiled at her unamused. "Wow, I'm surprised. Someone like you, a boyfriend?  I thought you were more of those people who are single their whole lives because of how unattractive they are." I rested my hand on my chin and looked up at her. 

Kathy looked offended and Grace chuckled. "Shut up, Bookface." Kathy crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. 

Grace stood up. "How about you shut up that disgusting ugly face of yours. You ugly wannabe Kim Kardashian who thinks they're pretty and cool but in real life, everyone hates her because she's a brat and has the hideous personality." Grace sat back down as if nothing had happened.

This time, Kathy flushed her face with anger. Everyone around her was dying of laughter. During this time, Liam would be intensely staring at me, but instead, his eyes didn't move from that girl. 

Kathy made it back to her seat embarrassed. 

"Alright, kids, settle down," Ms. C said, closing the door behind her. "We're taking tests today so clear you're desks and get out a pencil!"

Half of the class groaned as Ms. C started handing out the test. 

"You have until class finishes to finish the test." Ms. Czeslaw made it back to her desk. "After you complete it, come see me if you'd like extra credit. Good luck!" 

She started a one-hour timer. I skimmed through the test and realized how many pages there were. Luckily, the questions were too long. More of them were just ABC answers and you had to choose one. 

***

I grabbed my lunch tray and headed over to where my friends saved me a spot. 

"Hey, guys!" I greeted them. 

"Hey," each of them greeted me back. 

I sat down on the chair that was empty next to Jayden. 

"Was the test hard?" Ava asked me. "It was probably so hard. Ugh! I'm going to fail!"

"Calm down, Ava," I told her. "The test isn't easy but isn't hard. It's just talking about what we learned throughout the unit."

Ava sighed with relief. 

"Have you guys heard?" Miah said. She'd usually sit next to all the boys, but today, she decided to sit with us. "There's going to be a winter dance!" 

"Like an actual winter dance!" Jayden added. 

"Oooh, who are you guys taking?" Ava asked. 

I looked down at my food. Liam was already moving on and Lucas was already in another relationship. I had no one to go with, besides my friends of course. 

"I'm taking, Ethan," Jayden said cheerfully. (Minus one friend) Ethan was a year older than Jayden, but that didn't stop her. I mean, it's not the biggest age difference so yeah, it didn't really matter. 

"I was going to ask Grant," Miah said. "But he didn't like me back."

Miah didn't look too heartbroken, I guess. 

I noticed Liam with that same exact girl. Wait...if Liam was in a relationship with Kathy, wouldn't he be spending time with her? I was desperate to ask him about it. So, I rose up from my seat and went Liam's way. 

When he saw me, he instantly rose up and brought me into a hug. 

"Gabby! It's been so long! How are you!" He hugged me tightly. 

"I uh-" I started to say. He let go of me. I cleared my throat and crossed my arms. "I thought you were with Kathy..."

Liam blushed and looked at the ground. 

"You are with Kathy, right?" I asked. 

Liam continued looking at the ground. 

"Yes...?" he said, answering it like he got the answer wrong. 

We stood there for 10 seconds. 

"I'm going to go," Liam said, gesturing his hand to where he was sitting. 

I sighed. Why was he acting so weird? I hated it. It doesn't feel right to see Liam acting weird towards me. 

I went back to my friends and finished my lunch disappointedly.