6

I'm awoken again by a merciless sobbing. God, why can't this death be normal? Why must it drag out to the end of time as all this stolen blood drains from my body?

"Baz, oh Baz you're awake." He holds my head to his chest.

"Si-"

"Shhh, shh, shh. Don't talk. It's okay, I'm here now."

"It wasn't Ebb."

"I know who it was," he cries, his head bobbing to let his curls touch my skin. "He's gone now, love. He's not going to hurt you any more."

He can't hurt me any more.

I'm dying. For good, this time."

"Simon?"

"Hush."

"Simon."

He sighs, rubbing his thumb over my cheekbones. His other hand is pressed firmly to my crushed-in chest. Crowley, it's an awful sight. "What is it?"

My lips move, but no sound comes out. I force my voice to work, but for a moment more. Bunce stares from the other side of the room, her mouth agape, her face tear-streaked. She keeps mumbling things, her ring hand dipping in my direction. With each failing cast, another tear slips.

"Simon," I've found it again. "I love you."

He lets himself choak, his forehead finding mine, his wet nose and cheeks pressing against my own. "Baz. Basilton, I am sorry. I should have been here sooner."

"Don't apologize, love." He kisses me, his lashes fluttering uncontrollably as we both try to catch our breath and for such different reasons.

"I tried. I tried to fix you, but it's all gone." He was speaking the second we parted. Something hit him. "Penny, that spell from earlier-"

"What spell?" She tries to keep her voice even as she speaks. It doesn't work.

The world begins to get fuzzy.

"The one we used on..." Simon blinks. "Him."

"Simon says–"

"Fix him. Fix Baz, please."

I wonder if I'm supposed to feel something different. I wonder if I am better.

I try to sit up more, but my ribs crush against me. I take another sharp gasp.

"I'm sorry- Oh Baz!" He squeezes my shoulder "Basilton."

"Simon?"

"Is there anything I can do?" He whispers. His fingers wind through my hair, his blinking eyes shedding tears against my cheeks.

"Simon." I don't have to think about what I want. What I've wanted for so long. "Just kiss me and call me darling."