3

It's smoke. It's nothing but smoke in the front, which I should worry about. I should worry about catching fire, but I'm more worried about someone else catching.

I have to find the Mage.

I have to finish the Mage.

I follow the smoke through the empty hall, watching it thicken as I go along further. Something is wrong, very wrong. My legs move faster.

Chanting. I don't know the words, they're so distant, I can't quite make them out, but there's chanting. And it's definitely the Mage.

A take a step further, considering braving a "Show yourself," but all that will do is draw him right to me.

There's a hard, wooden crash that nearly makes me jump. This is ridiculous, being a terrified child like this. I need to get a hold of myself, calm down and find Simon. I realize my wand is at attention, pointing through the smokey abyss.

Another crash, more metallic. No, not a crash, a clang. And cursing. And shouting and-

Something hits me straight to the ground. I can barely make out a female figure darting back into the smoke. Blonde. Then a pair of rough hands gripping my arms, holding me to a wall.

"I told you not to run." Whoever he is, he has a deep, snarling voice. I can smell sweat, blood, smokey magic.

Smokey, but not Snow's. I try to focus on his face. That stupid, bloody mustache. Right in the center.

This is who I'm looking for.

"Let there be light," he exclaims. His face changes from an insane excitement to shock. "Where is she, where did she go?"

"Where's Simon?" I sneer back.

Without an answer, he shoves me into the wall. "I don't have time for Pitch brats and children-" Slashing his wand through the air, he creates his own child-like outburst. "Please, please please. Let me, let me, let me." It's like watching the twins throw one of their nightmarish tantrums. "No. Where is Simon?"

He's here. He must be here, right? Surely his thick-headedness has found him here before me. "You- you liar! Give him to me! Or bring me to him!"

"I don't have him, Pitch." He sighs, shaking his head. "But you." He has a death grip on my arms. "You'll have to do. You'll have to do for now."

"Do? Do what?"

I cannot recall what he says, but it puts me out.