4

I awake the second we hit the ground, a voice calling "No, Davy. Let him go."

His pleases and let mes ring out in the room, something wooden at the top of the chapel (I swear I've been here).

"Hell hath no fury!" The woman's voice rings once more. I can feel the burning flames, just inches from my face, as the spell hits it's target. My eyes clear once more. Ebb, the goatherd.

With the Mage just beside me, regaining his senses, I gather my wits and my wand. "Ebb, run." I can feel the magic wanting to take hold of those words.

That's what I'll have to do. Magic.

"Run for your life!" I cast, just before I have to hit the Mage's wand aside. I watch as the goatherd comes alive, her legs scrambling to keep up with her resistant body. She wants to stay. She wants to fight.

"You're becoming a problem," the Mage growls. That spell on Nicodemus's sister, the spell on the car, the spell on the Numpties. Everything I'd done before today.

It's catching up with me.

And I'm starting a fight with one of the most powerful magicians of our time. It's impossible to win.

My years of studies. Languages, articulations, everything- no. Nothing. In light of this challenge, my everything is nothing.

"Stay away!"

"Calm down!" I just want him gone until Simon or Bunce can get here.

"Resistance is futile!" He casts. I feel my muscles tense, my wand drop from my hand, clattering to the floor. It's about all I can do to breath and blink and think.

"Tyranus-"

"Basilton," I correct.

"Basilton." He sighs, rubbing at his chin. "We need you. The World of Mages needs you. Your power. You don't understand, but I do." What is he saying, that I'm the Chosen One? It can't be, can it?

"What do you mean?"

"Give me your power, Pitch," he spits. I blink a few times. He just asked me to-

"Never."

He shrugs, as though he's expected this all along. "I'll just have to take it, then."He pulls his gleaming blade from his sheathe, testing it and turning it over in his hands. My body begins to sink into the ground in forced submission.

In a last attempt at survival, I bare my fangs, trying to lunge at his throat. My father would surely forgive me for this. And even if he didn't, I'd take The Coven over whatever the Mage has planned.

"Ah," he sighs, as my hands pull into the ground, my head slamming along with it. "You're one of those, mmm?" He looks around the room, before settling on something long, thick, wooden...

Ebb's staff.

A perfect stake.

He plunges it straight through my chest.