Chapter 5

"Claire, get up! Your parents are coming for you soon!" Claire heard Amanda call as her shoulders were shaken lightly. 

"I'm up, I'm up" she replied, her hand reaching up to rub her sleepy eyes. 

"There's a difference between being up and being awake. Awake is when you are conscious of your surroundings. Up is up, out of bed, on your feet"

"Okay, okay. You win. I'm not up, I'm only awake" Claire replied before sitting up and throwing her feet over the side of her bed. She couldn't help the nervous feeling she felt on the inside of her. 

Claire stood up before putting on the dress that lay set out for her. The white fabric spread loosely over her torso and waist until it reached her knees. The loose fabric was then cinched up at her waist with the help of a white ribbon. She clasped her locket around her neck and slid her feet into her usual brown sandals that she had cleaned up last night before going to visit Levi. 

Levi...

That's right. She might never get to see him again. This thought made her sad, but she tried her hardest not to let it affect her. She had waited eight years to be adopted and she wouldn't let that fact influence her. 

Claire sighed before giving her friends large, long hugs.

"I'm gonna miss you" she said as she squeezed Naomi. 

"Me too. Except, with you" she replied awkwardly before pulling back and wiping her black hair away from her eyes. 

"Claire, they're here!" Sophia exclaimed as she walked through the bedroom door. Claire nodded before picking up her small bag, which contained all of her belongings, and walking down the stairs.

When she reached the bottom, she was greeted by a young couple, no older than mid-thirties. She could tell that they were James and Elizabeth Durant, the couple who adopted her, by their clothes. Fancy was the first word that came to mind. The resemblance held between the three of them was impeccable. The woman had light brown hair, similar to hers, and gorgeous blue eyes. The man had slightly darker brown curly hair and brown eyes. It was no wonder they had chosen her. 

"Oh, darling, you look beautiful!" the woman exclaimed, running to her and kneeling to her height.

"T-thank you" she replied sheepishly, bowing slightly, "You look beautiful as well, ma'am" she replied, looking at her attractive dress. It was down to the floor and contained a light pink tint. Her torso was covered by a layer of fancy lace and the bottom of the dress appeared to be made from silk and had embellishments that made neat designs. Her pierced ears had small diamond studs and around her neck was a simple, yet graceful, pink pendent. 

"Please, call me 'Ma-ma'?" she asked, giving her a warm smile. Claire nodded and couldn't help but smile. 

"Okay, Ma-ma!" 

"It's nice to finally meet you, Claire" the man began, stepping closer. He was wearing a simple black tux with a red button up underneath. 

"It's nice to meet you, too" she said, smiling and walking over and giving him a hug. He seemed slightly surprised, but quickly shook it off and returned the embrace. 

"We've gotten you something" he said after a moment, before picking up a bag that had been sitting in the corner of the room. He handed it to her in which she timidly took it, thanking him before opening it. Inside was a stuffed bear with a red ribbon. She smiled widely at it.