♛ Night Thirty-Eight

The night seems longer because the party started early. Ichika lived up to her promise and danced with Kasumi. Right now, she hopes it's over soon and enjoys a moment of peace with a glass of champagne. 

'How is the ball so far?' Kaien finds her on the terrace. 

Ichika smiles. 'You do a lot for everyone here. I can see what you're trying to accomplish.' 

'We don't have to dance. Some left about fifteen minutes ago. After our conversation, you could look for Takuma and have your last dance with him.' 

She glances at him over her champagne glass. 'I must say that my feet are grateful for that.' 

'I thought you would say that.' Kaien laughs. 'I do have a question. Would you consider donating to the academy?' 

She sips her champagne. 'I donate to three charities per month. I'll see what I can spare. However, I can't make a promise.' 

Kaien accepts it. 'I appreciate everything. Thank you.' He leaves her alone. 

'Ichika?' Takuma waited for him to leave. 'How long do you wish to stay?' 

She puts her glass down. 'How about that last dance and call it a night?' 

He takes her hand and leads. 'We don't have to go back inside.' 

'We can hear the music here too.' Forgetting everything else, she lays her head on his shoulder. 

*** 

Zero moves closer and in silence. Abrupt, he turns the guy. 'What are you doing here? Spying on Ichika?' He sees the woman dance with Takuma from a small distance. 

'No... that's not it. I just...' 

'Just what. You're a student here, so why aren't you at the ball trying to ask her for a dance?' Zero drops his hand to his gun. 'Answer me, or you'll deal with Ichika herself.' 

'Alright, you caught me. I'm a fan,' reacts Tetsuya with widened eyes and shivers at the intimidating and cold look in Zero's eyes. 

Zero points in the direction of the dorm. 'Either stay at the ball or go back to your dorm.' He witnesses the guy step back. 'Now!' 

Tetsuya bows his head for being caught and leaves. 

In the shadows of the trees and on a branch, the owl never moved or made a sound. He only observed everything from a safe place. 

*** 

Going back to the dorm, Takuma has his arm around Ichika. 

'Something tells me you don't want to end the night.' She keeps her voice quiet. 

'Is that a bad thing?' He smiles but it disappears when he hears something. He turns to the gardens while trying to use himself as a shield for Ichika. 'However is out there, come out? I know you're there.' 

Some vampires show themselves and surround the two. 

'Wait, I know you. Or, at least I've heard of you. You are Ichijo's grandson.' One remembers, and he turns to someone else. 'Can I kill him?' 

'No, unless you want Ichijo to come after you for killing him.' Another man reveals himself. 'Besides, he's not our target. He wants the woman.' 

'If you want Ichika, you'll have to go through me.' Takuma takes a stand to protect Ichika. 

The vampire who seems to have the lead shrugs his shoulders. 'Fine, if that's what it takes. Kill him.' 

Then they attack. 

Takuma engages in a fight with them and uses his power since his katana is in his bedroom. He dodges attacks directed at him and lashes out at them. Only to kill two vampires, but they are with many more. 

Ichika knows by heart that he would do anything to keep her safe and protected. She senses the vampires coming from behind. Knowing it's six vampires, she knows how to avoid them. 

All six are about to subdue her when an invisible force strikes them and within a second, they are reduced to ash. 'Takuma.' 

He doesn't hesitate and grabs her hand. The immense force overwhelms him, but it doesn't hurt. Instead, every other vampire disintegrates before his eyes. Still, he makes sure to stay by her side and scans the area. 'You had all of them.' Knowing it's over, he's happy that she's okay. 'Will you please be careful? You should not expose yourself or your powers. Now more than ever with Kenji getting closer. You don't want him to know everything.' 

'Hold on.' Smiling, she takes them both straight back to her bedroom. 

*** 

'What just happened?' Takuma lets her hand go. He steps back but is a bit out of balance. 

'I teleported us here. To anyone outside, it looked like we disappeared into a whirlwind of flower petals.' Ichika explains. 'It's not one I use often. Are you alright?' 

He nods. 'We need to tell Kaname.' 

'No one will do anything foolish at this time.' She shakes no. 'It can wait. In fact, I wanted to ask you something.' At her vanity table, she removes her earrings. 'How patient are you? I mean, if you were to change into something more comfortable and come back... We could talk a little more and fall asleep together?' 

His eyes change in an instant. 'Do you mean that?' 

'Yes, or do you want me to change my mind?' She puts her ring safely away. 'I don't sleep with my ring on. It's far too precious if I would lose it in my sleep.' 

The smile reaches his eyes. 'This won't take long.' He kisses her forehead and goes to his room. 

Ichika changes into her comfy sweater with leggings. After lighting a few candles, she darkens the room and waits for him. She scrapes her throat and coughs. On her hand, she sees some blood. 

'Ichika.' He closes the door behind him and is by her side in a second by the smell of blood. 'Is this because of your power? Which one causes this side effect? Is it when you teleported us away?' 

'No,' she shakes her head while getting dizzy. 'The other one. I wanted too much and used more than I thought I would. Not to mention, I wanted you to be safe. If I didn't shield you, you would be dead along with the others.' 

Takuma helps her clean her hand and into bed. 'Get some rest. I'm right here.' He pulls her close and with a plaid over them.

☙❧