Chapter 5

The next morning, Lucinda woke up early and got ready for the day. She had a quick shower and got dressed into some comfy clothes. Once she was done, the girl ran back into the bedroom and jumped onto Vlad's bed.

"Vlad! Vlad! Wake up, it's your birthday!!" the girl yelled, making the boy jump up and tackle her into a hug. Lucinda giggled, and hugged him back just as tight.

"Happy birthday, Vladdy. I got you a little something" she smiled, as the two pulled away. Lucinda pulled out a small pouch and handed it to the boy. When he opened the pouch, Vlad pulled out two necklaces.

"What is it?" he asked, making Lucinda grab one of them.

"They're Ying and Yang friendship necklace. You have the white half, and i have the black half. No matter how far away we are from each other, we'll always have a piece of each other. D-do you like it?" Lucinda asked nervously, when the boy didn't answer. Instead of answering, the boy puled his best friend into a bone crushing hug.

"I love it, Lu. Thank you so much" Vlad exclaimed happily, honestly loving the gift. The two pulled away just as the Count walked in, with a big grin on his face.

"Ah, i see you're both awake. Good morning Luci. And good morning to my boy Vladimir" The Count said, as he sat on the end of Vlad's bed with a large book in his hand. And that's when he started to tell the story of Vlad's birth.

"And that my boy was the story of when you were born, thirteen years ago to this very day. Haha here's a picture of you riding Zoltan. Oh, and a picture of you and Luci when you were both five, oh how precious" the Count gushed, looking at the photos. Lucinda smiled when she saw the embarrassed look on Vlad's face.

"Please, this happens every year. It's embarrassing" Vlad whined, his cheeks bright red.

"I know son. You know i was young once" The Count spoke mindlessly.

"I know, that was six hundred years ago" Vlad drawled, making Lucinda laugh and watched a the Count snapped the book shut looking to Vlad.

"So what wild mischief have you got planned for your party tonight?" The man asked.

"Balloons, cake...pass the parcel" Vlad responded, making his dad's smile drop.

"No matter. You're just a late starter. That'll soon change" And with that, the man flew out of the room. Lucinda laughed, ruffling Vlad's hair and walked off to get some cereal. Robin and Chloe arrived, and said their greetings to the girl. Not long after that, Vlad walked in and sat next to Lucinda. The Branagh siblings handed their presents to Vlad, him thanking them in return.

Robin gave the boy fake fangs and fake vampire blood, while Chloe gave him a....heat lamp.

"You mind reader....What is it?" the Dracula boy asked, looking at the contraption in confusion.

"It's a heat lamp. You said you wanted to get rid of that ghostly complexion" Chloe answered.

"That's not all that it's gonna get rid of. Just imagine what would happen if your parents or your dad got a hold of this" Robin said, then pretended that he was melting.

Vlad wanted to try out the lamp, and so they all moved down to the crypt where it would be safer to use. Lucinda didn't participate, and just watched as the others put on these weird goggles and sat in front of the heat lamp. After using it for fifteen minutes, Vlad turned it off and took off the goggles.

"So, do i look any different?" the boy asked, causing the other others to look at his skin closely.

"Oh yeah, you look like a totally different person, Vladdy" Lucinda said sarcastically, making the boy poke his tongue out.

"Woah, who are they?" Robin asked, gaining Vlad's attention. The boy looked to see that Robin was looking at a photo album.

"That's granny and grandad, mum's parents. We don't talk about them here, they don't like dad" Vlad stated in a hushed whisper.

"Why's that?" Robin asked, making Chloe nudge him in the ribs.

"Robin, that's none of our business....Why not?" Chloe asked curiously.

"Well they weren't too pleased that we left Transylvania" Vlad said, and continued on with the story about why they left.

"Why were they in such a bad mood?" Asked Chloe.

"They're majorly strict on vampire tradition. You've gotta wear a cape at all times, you've gotta be asleep by day break. You can't eat normal food....and don't mix with breathers. If they knew how we were living-" Vlad started, but was cut off by Robin.

"They'll kill you" he exclaimed, looking a little too excited.

"Well, no. They would send me back to Transylvania to a vampire boarding school. No friends, no family, no normal life. I would spend the rest of my life hiding in the shadows" Just when he finished talking, the door bell rang. The Vlad and Lucinda got up, and walked to the front. When they opened it, their eyes widened at what they saw. It was Vlad's grandparents.

Once Renfield wheeled in the coffins, and set them in the living room. Vlad got changed into more appropriate clothes in the bathroom, while Lucinda got changed in the room. When they were ready, the two walked down while holding each others pinkie's like they used to when they were younger.

"Right, is that all?" The Count asked nervously, watching as Renfield decorated the walls with spider webs.

"Nope, no sign of breather life anywhere" Robin said, as he walked into the room. Everyone turned to him, thinking about how stupid he sounded. Lucinda and Vlad quickly pushed Robin and Chloe behind some curtains.

The youngest Godfrey stood with her parents, while Vlad stood in front of the curtains. Suddenly, the two coffins opened and everyone watched as the elder vampires glide out of their coffins.

"Ah, what an unpleasant surprise to see you both" The Count commented, causing the elder woman to sneer at the man.

"You, you traitor. You traitor, you've brought shame to this family. You're a disgrace to the vampire name" she snarled at the man, then turned to Ingrid.

"Uh, Ingrid. My favourite grandchild" she said, while handing the girl a bag.

"Oh, new shoes. Thanks granny" the teen grinned, looking at the new pair of shoes.

"ah, it's only money" the woman scoffed, rolling her eyes. She grabbed her luggage, and roughly shoved them into Renfield's arms, then turned to Vlad.

"Vladimir, come here. Step out of the shadows so i can see you better" Vlad hesitantly walked towards his grandmother, as she grabbed his face.

"Huh, too much colour to your skin. You need to stay inside more" this then caused an argument to start between the Count and the elders.