Rutu - the Reason, her Passion

"Yes, yes, very good

"Yes, yes, very good. See, your lines are becoming more straight as you practice."

"You see, stitching is a lot like living. Just like concentration and conviction are needed in life, they are needed in stiching too. But in developing them, we often forget about the passion, the reason why we live. Now that you have a reason to stitch, you're doing much better dear!"

We are in the hall, practicing stitching on a Sunday afternoon. Amma was so excited after hearing that I wanted her help with embroidery that she brought down all her threads, needles and samples, from the attic.

My happiness grows with her glow. Amma really enjoys being a part of the world of patchworks and color combinations.

And surprisingly, I enjoy the stitching today. The stitching gives us some time together, and we talk about our lives in detail. She tells me that she has talked to the Principal for allowing her to change the paper pattern a little. Ah. It feels so good to talk to Amma.

"God bless that friend of yours who brought you back to embroidery."
Her eyes shine brightly as she smiles at me.

I smile back. Truly, who knew that the handkerchief Rutu had used to wrap around that pack of KitKat would come handy in this way?

After supervising me for a while, she takes some needles and starts working on one of her incomplete designs.

I stop for a while to cement the memory of her radiant face.

"Amma, if embroidery makes you this happy, don't you think you should do it more often?"

"I should. And sometimes I really want to. But I use a lot of time choosing a design and then end up postponing it."

An idea strikes me.

"Amma why don't you start taking up embroidery projects where the requirements have been specified by the clients? That way, you'll be saved of your confusion and you'll get to use your art as well."

I see a thoughtful expression spread on her face.

She smiles. "I can do that but what about the clients?"

"I can be your first client, if you wish to start slow."

She nods happily.

"That'd be perfect."

"Great! So, Mrs. Sudha Pillai, my friend Nikhar's birthday is approaching. And I would love to gift her an embroidered tshirt. Blue is her favorite color, especially royal blue. And she is fond of Quotes on Tshirts. I leave the details to you. Do I have you on board for this?"

"You do."

We shake hands. She starts making a list of the shades of blue she would need. I turn my attention towards my practice cloth.