c h a p t e r 2 8

'I could watch you like I watch the stars.'

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Yashiro dropped her books onto her desk with a sigh, flinging her bag over her chair. Monday was just as boring as usual, and of course Yashiro had to have her least favourite class first, math. Math was also conveniently taught by her least favourite teacher, also.

"Alright everyone, homework out."
Yashiro felt herself panic and grabbed her bag. She rummaged through it, searching for her homework. Was it that sheet of paper? No... this one? Nope. Yashiro panicked even harder as she realised she had not done her homework. It was unsurprising, but incredibly inconvenient.

The teacher walked through the rows of desks, picking up each sheet of homework on her way past. She nodded at each student as she collected it, and Yashiro tensed up as she watched the teacher step nearer and nearer to her own desk.

"Yashiro?"

Yashiro opened her eyes, unaware that she had scrunched them shut in preparation to get yelled at by the teacher. Her fists were clenched into tight balls.

"Y-yes?"
"Where is your homework?"
"I uhm..."
"Don't tell me you forgot it again."
"No I- I think- I dropped it in a puddle on the way to school." Yashiro blurted out.
"You think you dropped it in a puddle?"
"N-no, I mean, yes."
"Detention at lunch, Yashiro."

Yashiro sighed and dropped her head into her hands, resting her elbows on her desk.

"And Yashiro, how many times, no scarves in class."

The teacher walked off, continuing to collect the sheets of paper off the other students' desks. Yashiro's eyes jolted open and she pulled her head up from her hands.

"No scarves in class."

Yashiro almost yelped in surprise. No scarves in class. 'No no no no no...' Forget not doing homework, having to remove her scarf was probably the most stressful thing Yashiro was experiencing that morning. Her face turned beet red, wishing and praying over and over again that the teacher would somehow forget she asked Yashiro to remove her scarf and continue with her teaching.

Yashiro looked around, realising she was the only one with a scarf on. She noticed someone in the corner of her eye taking her scarf off as the teacher nodded at her. Yashiro shoved her face into her hands again.

"Yashiro. Scarf."

Aoi, who was sat on the desk next to Yashiro, poked her with a ruler.

"Nene, I think you need to take your scarf off."

If Yashiro thought her day couldn't get any worse, she was about to be proved wrong. She glanced around the room, making sure the other students were preoccupied with something- anything else. She inhaled deeply, preparing herself mentally. Then, she unwrapped her scarf, draping it over the back of her chair, before immediately pulling her hair around her shoulders.

Aoi let out a startled squeak beside her.

"Nene..."
"Aoi, we can talk about this later."
"Nene... did I just see what I think I saw?" Aoi whispered.
"No..."

"I think I did." She whispered again.
"No you didn't!" Yashiro hissed back.

"You have a hickey, don't you?"