c h a p t e r 2 6

'Sometimes I forget how much you mean to me.'

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱.
⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Hanako finally felt normal again. He didn't particularly hate being a ghost, and being a 'living' human again meant he couldn't hang out in the girls bathroom anymore. In fact, one time he had completely forgotten that the rest of the students could see him, and almost got attacked by an angry mob of girls after going into the bathroom he used to call his home. He was sure he would be dead again if he hadn't sprinted out of there.

In his eyes, spending three months away from Yashiro was worth being able to live normally. Everything became so much more exhilarating, how he would have to steal chaste kisses from her when no students were watching, how they would pass each other stupid notes during class when the teacher was preoccupied with something else, or when they would hide in the storage room together during lunch, (considering that Hanako would get attacked if he stepped foot near the girls bathrooms) holding hands and swapping lunches.

Overall, Hanako loved being human again.

〜♡〜

The school bell rang, signifying the end of the day. Hanako and Yashiro both gathered their things and left their separate classrooms, both grinning as they headed towards the now empty third floor. The end of the day was by far both of their favourite, as it was the only time of the day where they could both really have privacy. The two of them pushed their way through the rest of the students who were eager to return home, going against the current.

Yashiro reached the top of the stairs first. The top couple of floors in the school were empty now, and Yashiro could hear a clacking of shoes against the hard floor just below her. She held the banister of the stairs with both hands and peered over the edge. It was no surprise when she saw Hanako running up the steps, his bag slung over his shoulder, his hair constantly getting in front of his face. Hanako angrily swept his hair out of his eyes and Yashiro had to keep a laugh held back at the sight.

"Hurry up!"

Hanako stopped for a second to look up at Yashiro, watching him from above. He smiled with a sigh and went back to running up the stairs. Yashiro took that as her cue to get a move on too. She skipped down the hallway to the bathroom, tucking her hair behind her ear as she did so.

"Yashiro- wait-" Hanako panted, worn out from running up the stairs. Yashiro didn't stop, she grabbed the door handle to the bathroom and with a cheeky grin, opened it and stepped inside.

"Ughhh, Yashiro, wait-" Hanako stumbled to the door with shaky legs and pushed it open.

Hanako didn't expect what he saw inside.

Yashiro was already stood, staring at the other figure in the room. Hanako was so used to not seeing his brother around that he had to almost do a double take to make sure what he was seeing was really there. His plans to spend the rest of the afternoon with Yashiro were completely shattered at the sight of his mischievous brother. His heart sunk, in annoyance and dismay.

"Amane!" Tsukasa jumped forward, wrapping his arms around Hanako. Hanako stood there with his twin latched onto him, in a state of shock and confusion. He didn't push the other off, though.

"Tsukasa."
Tsukasa looked up at his brother with big eyes.

"Finally! I get to see you! Wow, you look super weird without those old clothes and your hat!"