Chapter Four: Just Dipping Toes into a Kiddie Pool...

Mulai dari awal

Marissa looked horrified.  “Did the water get turned off at your house?”

It was at this point that Cher really started to feel offended.  “Marissa, I chose to wear this today.”

“Why?” Amber looked at her in disgust.

Cher shrugged her shoulders.  “Thought it was time for a change.”

Marissa immediately shot her down.  “Well, you thought wrong.”  There was an icy look in Marissa’s eyes that seemed to intimidate Cher, who just looked down at her shoes.  There was absolutely nothing preppy about her outfit, and she loved it.  Marissa must have saw that Cher felt a bit hurt because she tossed her arm around Cher’s shoulder.  “Come on, darling.  I have some extra outfits in my outfit.  I guess that I could forfeit my sixth period outfit for you, and I can wear the same outfit fifth and sixth.”  Cher smiled appreciatively, but Marissa’s words were no comfort compared to that of Sasha.  Cher didn't want Marissa to forfeit an outfit for her  – she just wanted to wear what she picked out.   After all, it was her life, wasn't it?

             “Thanks,” Cher mumbled, anyways.  She and the other two walked over to Marissa’s locker – a double locker that she had fashioned into a wardrobe because she wanted to be like Sharpay from High School Musical.  Marissa needed to open her eyes and realize that life wasn't a movie – it wasn't always going to go her way.  Cher accepted the outfit, but only with a promise to herself; Marissa can't take control of my life anymore.  I'll abide by what she has to say, but as soon as I can – she's out of the group.

****

Cher walked over to the normal lunch table, where Amrissa had already been sitting.  All day and there was still no sign of the fourth amigo.  “Has anyone heard from Illy?” Cher questioned, plopping her tray down in the usual spot.

Marissa popped a fry into her mouth.  “Nope,” she responded.

Cher narrowed her eyes at Marissa.  This was her chance to show Marissa that she didn't deserve to be in the group – an indirect ultimatum.  “Ew, ‘Rissa.  Gross.”  Cher made an indication to the french fry, and Marissa quickly blushed.  She basically invented the diet rule, so breaking it was way problematic.

Cher cocked her head to the side.   “Ew, fatty.   Get rid of it.”  Marissa gave her a twisted look, but she got up and threw out the fries.  It was a sweet, twisted victory, but Cher didn't mind if it gave her a sense of control.  When Marissa returned, she had a scowl on her face, but she didn't say anything.

Now it was time to show Amber that she could also be kicked to the curb.  “Amber, haven't you had enough carbs this week?” Cher looked at her out of disbelief.  Amrissa just exchanged embarrassed glances and returned to eating their diet suitable food. 

“Just trying to keep us in check,” Cher snickered.  “It's not like we would want to go outside our rules – that's preposterous!”

Marissa threw her head back, chuckling to herself.  “Well, now I see where this is going.   You're upset about earlier!”

Amber laughed along.  “Hold a grudge much?”

“Yeah, what was the point of that anyhow?  What were you trying to achieve?” Marissa laughed again.

Cher only shook her head.  “Only self-identity.”

“What does that mean?” Amber tossed her fork down into her salad.

Marissa scrunched her nose up.  “Literally.”

Cher tittered.  “Nothing.”

****