Chapter Four: Just Dipping Toes into a Kiddie Pool...

Chapter Four

Just Dipping Toes into a Kiddie Pool…

The morning came with the blue skies raining in through Cher’s window.  Sunshine poured through the window frame, blinding her as she pulled back the covers on her bed.  It was time for school.  School.  All the memories and worries came flooding back to her.  Plus, the panic over her biology test tomorrow.  At least it was a Thursday, meaning that the weekend was so close to arriving.  Then, there would be that party where things could be straightened out.  Cher could show up with a modest dress and get the girls to dress in the same fashion.  They would make a statement to promote self-love.  Of course, it didn’t really help that the people that Cher was making a statement against happened to be a part of her “girls”.  Why did life have to be so hard all the time?

She could start her quest for self-love by first dressing as she wanted to.  Instead of pulling out her mini skirt and polo, Cher ventured through her closet, and pulled a flowy dress with a bohemian vibe.  It seemed comfortable and care-free, something that Cher was all for.  She threw it on and curled her hair into messy, wild curls.  She would look like a wild child and that idea excited her ever so much.  Why be tamed and proper when you could express yourself through your true vision of you?  Besides, this was her teenage years.  She can’t just redo them later on life – it’s was now or never, and she needed to enjoy being a teenager while it lasts. 

Leaving the house looking like she did made Cher feel just a tad rebellious.  It wasn’t like she did every day, and it was giving her a true sense of radicalism.  This was exactly what she was looking for – something new, different, and completely real.  It was brilliant actually, so why hadn’t she bothered to think of this before?  Perhaps she would be set free now that she was willing to let her true self shine through.  Maybe everything was about to become so much better.  She hopped into her BMW and smiled into the little mirror.  She looked absolutely stunning, and her looks pleased her far too much for it to even be considered vain.  It was too bad that Amrissa wouldn’t be able to experience such a feeling of strength because they were confined by stereotypes.  That was until they saw Cher looking the way she did.  Then, of course they would follow in her footsteps, and claim to anyone who would listen that they and Cher had all decided together that this was the best way to go about doing things from now on.  They would lie and do whatever it took to make them look just as smart.

Cher passed Sasha walking again, and she filled with anger but comfort.  Sasha smiled and Cher gave her the tiniest smile, but nothing that could hardly register as noticeable.  Cher was still denying the fact that she had befriended Sasha, but Sasha couldn’t deny it.  She considered herself everyone’s friend, whether or not they liked to agree with that statement.  She was universal Miss Happy, and no one was to take that title away from her.  However, Cher was not allowed to associate with her and that was final.

It was like déjà vu, parking in the school parking lot again with Marissa knocking on her window.  Except, it was only Marissa and Amber outside of Cher’s BMW.  Where was Iliana?  She hadn't bothered texting Cher at all yesterday, so Cher had only figured that she was alright.  She had to be, right?  Wiping that worry from her mind, she slid out of the car and saw the expression on Marissa’s face go from “happy-to-see-my-friend” to “what-in-the-world”, and it couldn't have pleased her more.

Cher smiled triumphantly.  It was a victory that she had shocked Marissa in such a way.  She eyed Amber, who seemed shocked but far more reserved about it.  Cher flipped some of her wild hair behind her shoulder.  “So, what do you think?”

Marissa shrieked.  “What are you – a caveman?”

Cher’s eyes widened.  “Excuse me?”