Ⅵ. 𝐬𝐩𝐲

for her ,, revamped "

Finding him was never easy. The most difficult person seeking out the world's most impatient must have been stupid destiny. And now the truth was out, and personally, I didn't know how to explain everything to Adrien that wouldn't make him feel angry, or betrayed, or even unloved.

I rummaged through my purse as I took each step down the four flights of stairs, coming up with a crumbled dollar. I approached the vending machine just in case Adrien rode the elevator down, biting my lip as I slid the money into the machine, ordering a coca-cola.

"Colt," I whispered, still facing the machine. I was well aware of how crazy I must've looked, but everyone cursed the difficult machine that always ate our money, anyway.

I swiped my bangs away from my damp forehead as the lobby was never air conditioned, and looked around at my surroundings. No Colt. As I said, he was the most difficult guy I could have worked with in high school, and that is including Adrien.

When the cola I ordered banged through the machine, falling into the opening, I reached down and grabbed the cold to my touch drink. I cracked the can open, "here's a drink." I whispered again.

"Thank you, ma'am," The calloused hands of the man I once knew reached overhead of me, slipping the drink out of my hand.

I threw my arms in the air, turning on my heel to be met with Colt hovering over me. He was wrapped up in a corduroy sherpa, clutching the jacket closed with one hand, holding my drink in the other.

"But it is so hot in here," I said with the roll of my eyes. He shrugged, took a sip of the drink. He swigged the liquid around in his mouth for a moment in thought, swallowed.

"I am supposed to be dead," He stated, rousing out his hair now that he's let go of the coat. "I don't get hot."

"Uh-huh," I mumbled, shifting my weight onto one leg, glaring up at him. "and I suppose you know why I called you here?"

"To give me this?" He asked stupidly, shaking the can in his hand in front of my face.

Still, three years later, he managed to press every button I had to set me off annoyed. I groaned, turning my back to him with my hands in the mess that was my hair.

"Forgive me," He said, a hand placed onto my shoulder. "I love to make jokes."

"Okay," I said, turning back at him. "apparently so does Wren."

"Oh, yeah," Colt drawled, biting at the skin on his bottom lip. "that must be why you have called me, then?"

Colt Breyer knew exactly why I called him here so late at night. Wren was messing with me again, and this time, through Adrien. It never made sense to me, why he wanted my life screwed over so bad. I have been looking over my shoulder for the last three years, and now he decides to come back out to play. How do you tell someone you love and have left in the dark for so long that a stranger tried to kill you?

"Wait," Colt spoke abruptly, eyebrows furrowed. "Agreste knows?"

I rubbed at my eyes, "Yes," I told him impatiently, backing up and falling onto the complimentary couches in the lobby. "that is why I called you here."