Ⅴ. 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞

for her ,, revamped "

My life had changed a lot since high school. But not how you'd expect it. Of course, it changed for the better since I met Marinette. She came into my life and saved me from myself completely, but apparently she was told to do so. And that was a huge slap in the face when you thought someone cared enough to act on their own account.

It could have been anyone this man Colt could have chosen, but it just so happened to be the girl I was destined to fall in love with. Marinette was wonderful every which way, but it's because I love her so much, that it hurts me to think that her love for me may have never been real.

The way I act on my feelings have changed since high school as well. Ever since my mother died back when, I was haunted by her image almost everywhere, every night. But, when Marinette came along, she kept me on the right side of the family, and helped me overcome the nightmares. But, while it was real life, maybe it wasn't real at all. And Wren has proven it to me in a unique light, and he explained to me what I have to do now.

"So, you'll be back tomorrow?" Kacey smiled at me, leading me to the back exit of the café since I was here way past closing time.

"Sure," I lied, slipping my arms through my coat. Truthfully, I had no interest in forming a friendship with Kacey nor Wren. I appreciated their honesty, but I didn't have the time to entertain any new friendships with anyone.

"Great," The girl said, before the door swung behind me as I left.

The alley behind the café seemed colder than the true temperature outside, and I could see my breath in the light from the street lamps. It was going to be a miserable walk back to the apartment, and I began to regret leaving.

The more I think about it, I realized how stupid It was to leave Marinette alone. Clearly, the person who left the envelope on our doorstep knew our address, and I was only just realizing this now, but it wasn't safe. I had to get back as soon as possible.

Marinette was asleep in our bed when I arrived, and she looked as peaceful as ever. It warmed my heart knowing she didn't worry about me while I was gone. I relied on that she knew I was capable of taking care of myself, and she acted correctly by not staying up half of the night shaking in her shoes.

I joined her in bed, wrapping my arm around her waist, coming close to her ear. "Marinette," I whispered, and her mouth moved upwards into a smile.

"Adrien... I hope," She said funnily, quietly. I laughed as she flipped over to face me, smiling tiredly.

"Sorry I woke you," I told her, moving her messy bangs away from her forehead. I was leaning on an arm, looking down at her, and her nose scrunched up.

"I was never asleep," She said, biting her lip.

I groaned, falling onto my back. "You shouldn't have worried." I said pettily, throwing an arm over my eyes.

Marinette shifted on her side of the bed, sitting up once I looked at her. Her lips twitched like she was holding back a smile. "What?" I asked, mirroring her position.

"Nothing," She shook her head. The laugh she kept stifled was an annoying one, causing me to give an eye roll.

"Please, just tell me," I said impatiently, grabbing her hand. She smiled at me, biting her lip again as she thought.

"Okay, well," She took a deep breath, looking down at my hand. "I jus— What is this?" Her tone changed to an angered one, she climbed out of the bed as to get away from me.

"What?" I asked, moving the back of my hand in front of my face, noticing the digits written in black sharpie. I sighed. "Marinette, that is not what you think it is..."

"Sure, Adrien," Marinette said defeatedly, arms thrown up in the air. "you disappear for hours, and now you have a phone number written on your hand." She wiped at her eyes. "It is definitely what I think it is."

"No," I say, moving from the bed and toward her, showing her my hand. "this isn't from a woman."

Marinette tilted her head to the side and I place my hand on her cheek. "I promise," I tell her in a whisper, "it was just some guy... Uh, Wren." I lean in as she does, until she suddenly pushes me away by the chest.

"What did you say?" She asked, looking scared as her hand shook against my chest. "Please, repeat what you said.

"Wren," I raised an eyebrow, "uh, he's just some guy wh—"

Her face went pale, and she worked up a nod while she started to pace the area. "I get it now," She said, hands in her hair.

"Marinette?" I called, reaching out to her. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," She said shortly, pointing far at the front door. "I just have to go to the vending machine, you know, located in the lobby."

"Yeah, I know where it's at," I said impatiently while following her through the house. Sure enough, she left out the front door, leaving me confused.

I rubbed at my eyes, shaking my head incredulously. She would never not be completely confusing to me.