Chapter 36

I was outside with the uncles who were leaving. There was about 17 of them. Gosh! My mother was with me so I wasn't that nervous to be in their presence. The male gender still made me uncomfortable bethu. Even though these men were the king's uncles, I still felt wary and uncomfortable around them. I didn't know them. This was my first time meeting all of them. Our curious neighbors were out and about, if you can believe it. Some of them couldn't even contain their curiosity. They had pulled my mother aside. I'm sure they were asking her about the men and the cars and what was going on. "Haike. We're going to leave now Khazie my child." Said one of them. I still didn't know their names. I was still getting used to how big and tall they were. Most of them had gray hairs but they didn't even look that old. "Hopefully we'll see more of you before the wedding." Another said. I just nodded. "Can't believe that she's our tenth daughter in law. Ei we're old brother." Another one said hitting the shoulder of the one next to him. Did he just say that I was the tenth? My God!! How many children did they have kanti? Phofu why was I even asking that, they were 20 of them so of course they would have a lot of children. I bet their children were double their number. Imagine, there being 40 of them or even more. Yeesh! I was marrying into a very big family people and I was scared, I don't want to lie. But best believe I wasn't going to let my myself get bullied. I might appear weak because of what happened to me but I was far from being weak. "We're really old but that is life." He shrugged. "We'll see you Little Super. Let's go gents." I smiled and waved at them as they got into their cars. Little Super? I shook my head and waved my hand again as the cars hooted as they passed me. I left my mother outside as she was still taking with the neighbors and went inside to my bedroom and I dialed the king. He needed to explain himself. Why hadn't he warned me about his uncles. Tshi! He picked up after a few rings.
Kumkani: "My moon."
Me: "You have 20 uncles?!" I whisper yelled and he chuckled.
Kumkani: "Yes."
Me: "A warning would've been nice you know." I told him... "do you know how beside myself I was when I saw them?" He said nothing and just chuckled even more. This jerk! When I said he should laugh more I hadn't meant him laughing at my expense.
Me: "This is funny to you?"
Kumkani: "Yes."
Me: "Are they really all your uncles?"
Kumkani: "They're my Father's friends but they're all close like brothers so yes, you could say they're all my real uncles." Wow!
Me: "Your family is big." He said nothing... "they said I'm going to be their tenth daughter in law. That's just crazy King."
Kumkani: "That might be true."
Me: "What do you mean that might be true? Don't you know the wives of your cousins?"
Kumkani: "No, not really. I keep to myself beautiful so I'm not that close to them." He told me... "and also work keeps me busy so when I have time I only go to visit my parents."
Me: "Oh."
Kumkani: "Yeah."
Me: "Anyways, your uncles seem like good men." I said sitting down on the bed... "but they are crazy as hell." He said nothing but chuckled a little... "where are you? Are you at your place?" He hummed in response... "are you watching sports?"
Kumkani: "Yes."
Me: "Gosh you and your sports." He laughed... "when we're married we're going to fight a lot."
Kumkani: "Because of the TV?" I hummed... "we won't. I'll just get you another TV that will be in our bedroom so that you can watch all your woman shit there" This man! Woman shit? Really?!... "but then again, I wouldn't want you not being close to me, so I'll end up letting you watch all those programs that you like with you in my arms." God! I could already picture it. This king of mine knew how to say all the right things.
Me: "I love you King." He made a deep sexy sound. My belly flipped.
Kumkani: "Would never get tired of hearing my woman say her love for me." Before I could answer I heard my mother call me from downstairs.
Me: "I have to go my King."
Kumkani: "Okay little beauty. Later."
Me: "Later." I hung up and went to the kitchen.

The lobola negotiations had come to an end now. The men were eating in the living room now. The negotiations had ended sooner than I expected them to. Sis' Thoko told me that the negotiations usually went on for hours especially if the two families were not reaching an agreeable agreement about the amount and number of cows that should be paid for the bride which in most cases would require for a later date to be set where they would come again and meet to negotiate for the second time or even for the third time sometimes. Crazy, right? Well luckily for me that wasn't the case. Everything was settled. Oh my gosh! I was going to get married guys. Now that the negotiations were over, it made it all more real for me now. That in 5 months time I was going to be the king's wife. Imagine! I pinched myself just to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. And I wasn't. After they ate and talked some more, the king's family left. I helped with the washing of the dishes and cleaning of the kitchen. My mother's friends also left after we were done together with my two uncles and Anga's father and then after that it was just me and my parents left. To be honest, I was exhausted which was weird since I didn't do much. Maybe I was exhausted from all the nerves I had felt since this morning. Now that the tension in my body was gone, it felt like I could breathe again. It felt like a really heavy weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I guess I had really been worried about something bad happening. Thankfully the universe had listened to my prayers this time. I decided to go take a shower and await the king's arrival.