Chapter 23

The boisterous laughs of two men bounce off the walls as you approach the main hall. Noelle bows as you arrive at the entrance of the room that was guarded by two men before leaving. "This is my stop, Princess (First Name). Wishing you all the best."

"Ah, there she is!" Your father notices you by the front door, standing up from his seat to escort you. You see three unfamiliar men, two of which had red hair and one with blue.

"A pleasant morning to you, gentlemen." You bow once you reach the empty seat beside your father's. King Crepus gives a look towards the two males and they both got up from their seat, walk towards you, and each took your hand in theirs to press a kiss on top of it. A few seconds later, they let go of your hand, politely curtsying before returning to their seats.

"On my left," King Crepus began, gesturing his hand towards the blue-haired male, "is my son, Prince Kaeya."

"On my right," King Crepus gestures his hand towards the red-haired male across Kaeya, "is also my son, Prince Diluc."

"Ah, so that's who I'm marrying..." You thought, secretly scrutinizing Diluc as you glance at him. Your father ushers you to take the empty seat beside Diluc. As he eyes the both of you, he has a wide grin on his face. "Do you see how lovely they look?" The question was directed to King Crepus, who then turns his attention to both of you. "I wonder how my future grandchildren will look... Do you think they'll have my son's features?"

"I'm sure they'll have my daughter's too."

"Alright, alright. A mix perhaps."

Noticing that the three of you weren't talking much, your father dismissed you three, saying that he and King Crepus would still be chatting until dinner was served. Before the three of you could part, you ask, "Would you like to have a tour around the palace?"

"With a beautiful princess such as yourself? I wouldn't pass." Prince Kaeya makes a comment directing to his brother, who looks like he's about to refuse your offer.

"I'm sure Princess (First Name) is tired. Give her time to rest—"

"Okay," Prince Kaeya loops one of his arms with yours, "Off we go." He starts walking in a random direction. "Goodbye, brother." Kaeya waves goodbye, not turning back to see Diluc's annoyed face as he feels the daggers hitting his back. Once you and Kaeya walk far enough from Diluc, Kaeya apologizes.

"Oh, you don't need to apologize."

"I don't mean this. I'm sorry that you have to marry my brother."

You give him a confused look. Seeing the expression on your face, Kaeya shakes his head. "Just a heads up— he's always grumpy. Whenever I'd drink, he would always grab the drink away from me."

"Maybe it's because he's looking out for you."

"Pft." Kaeya laughs, hands clutching his belly, "Whatever's going on with that cranky man's head, I'll never know. Perhaps you could try drinking with me... I've brought some wine— dandelion wine to be specific. It's a local drink in our kingdom."

"Oh... that's a shame. I don't drink."

"Not even a glass?"

"Not even a sip, Prince Kaeya."

"Kaeya's fine. No need to call me with honorifics. After all, you're going to be my sister-in-law."

Talking with Kaeya for a few while had been fun while it lasted but having been reminded that you are to be wed to a man you don't love, let alone someone you barely know, you feel weak. "Would it be alright for me to return to my room first? It seems that my trip had made me exhausted."

"I guess we'll have to tour next time then." Kaeya says, understanding your situation, "Hit me up if you change your mind." He does a drinking gesture and you giggle, playfully rolling your eyes at him. "We'll see, Kaeya. I hope you enjoy your stay here."

You part ways with Kaeya and return to your room. Although you were back home, it feels like you were locked up again in a birdcage. You weren't free to do anything anymore as the servants were everywhere, always watching you. Sighing, you decide to take nap to regain your strength back.

Hours later, you awoke to a knock on your door. "Dinner is served," Noelle says behind the door.

"Coming." You reply, quickly fixing your appearance by the mirror. Once you look presentable with no hair sticking out and creases on your hanfu, you exit the room to be greeted by Noelle who bows at your presence. "This way." Noelle gestures, taking a few steps with you following behind her. While walking, you stare at Noelle's back. You have always made small chatter with her, whether it be about  Mondstadt (the place where she came from) or just playful banter since it would always make you feel better but this time, you weren't in the mood to do so.

As you arrive at the dining hall, your father and the guests were already seated. Extravagant dishes were lined up on the table. You took the same empty spot beside Diluc, greeting everyone before you were seated. "Let's dig in, shall we?" Your father asks and everyone agrees, taking up their utensils to take a piece of food.

Although you took a piece of jade cabbage dumplings, a signature dish the Kingdom of Yu has been proudly serving, you couldn't help but think back to the times you were in the camp where Xiangling would let you test try her new recipes. Nothing could compare to Xiangling's cooking. They were all divine in taste.

"(First Name) dear, don't pick on your food." Your father quietly reprimands you. You mutter a 'sorry' under your breath before taking a full bite of the dumpling. After a fulfilling meal, everyone but you returned to their rooms. You were heading to your father's room, hoping he could answer the thoughts running in your mind.

The guards let you pass and you excuse yourself, gently knocking on the wood once to alert your father of your appearance. "Oh? What brings you here?"

"Good evening, Father." You bow, "I just have some questions regarding the marriage."

"Ah yes... I suppose you do. Tell me... what you think of Prince Diluc?"

You did not answer his question but asked your own. "Must I get married?"

"It's the only way our countries will be united. Unfortunately, our kingdom's men are fewer compared to Mondstadt's. If we go into war again, we'll lose. We've lost so many brave soldiers already... I wouldn't want that to happen again."

You could feel the weight of a heavy burden on your shoulder— the peace of your own kingdom. "I-I... I understand, Father. W-When will I get married?"

"In two days."

"S-So soon?" Your eyes widen in shock.

"The faster you get married, the better."