Chapter 14

"Ugh." You groan as the light enters through the gap of your curtains and hits one side of your face. You cover yourself underneath the blankets to avoid the light and return back to sleep but you were unable to as the memory of yesterday's event kept you awake— you and Childe getting together. It almost felt like a dream when in reality, it really did happen and it made you feel giddy inside.

You decided to get up and do your routine. When you were done, you exit your room and head to the kitchen to make your breakfast since Xiangling isn't awake at this time. Before you could make your breakfast, the thought of whether Childe has eaten breakfast or not passes through your mind.

You remember that one time when you woke up early and went out for a stroll, Childe was practicing his archery skills by the garden. Assuming that he's practicing now, you head to the area and spot a figure from afar. Judging from his tall stature, you could tell it was Childe.

You ran back to the kitchen, gathering the ingredients you needed for your simple cooking. Despite not knowing how to cook (since you have always been served by the chef), you have watched Xiangling cook and learned a bit. Hopefully, your cooking will turn out well.

After a while, you managed to make a decent scrambled egg for the third time as your two previous attempts ended up as a fail with the egg being over-burnt on the first attempt and being sweet on the second attempt as you accidentally added sugar instead of salt.

Picking the bowl up, you exit the kitchen and went to check up on Childe. Seeing that he was no longer practicing outside, you head to his office with quiet steps. As soon as his door was in sight, you knock once and earn no reply. You knock again and receive the same outcome. Before you could knock on the door once again, the door slides open and you see a grumpy-looking Childe.

"What is it—" His tone sounded harsh until he saw you, "(First Name)?" He spoke in surprise, not expecting you.

"I... um, did I come at a bad time?"

"No, no." Childe shook his head. "Come on in." He invites, opening the door wide enough as he steps aside. You enter his room and he closes the door behind you. The room was dimly lit with the light coming from the half-covered window. His room was still the same as before, only that his bed was heavily decorated with scattered paper while a large map occupied his desk. "Did you sleep last night after your birthday party was over?"

Childe nervously chuckles, afraid that he'll give you an answer that would result in you being upset. "Yes." He lied, and you didn't believe him at all. With one hand holding the bowl while the other was completely free, you pull the remaining half of the curtains to one side, allowing the light to fully permeate the room. Childe temporarily closes his eyes, backing away. You notice the dark bags under his eyes and you sigh in response to his lie.

As a general, his work schedule is always hectic and tiring and you know that. You knew it would be pointless to scold him now so you raise the bowl for him to see. "I-I... I prepared breakfast... if you didn't have any that is..."

The corners of Childe's lips twitch into a smile. Oh how we wished he could pull you into his arms for an embrace if not for the bowl you were holding. "Well then, let me have a try." Childe takes the bowl from you and you hand him the chopsticks along with it. Childe takes the chopsticks, although unwilling as he didn't know to use them. To not embarrass himself, he feigns a hurt expression. "Ah!"

"What's wrong?" You ask, concerned.

"I got myself hurt today." He lies, "Especially my fingers."

"Then... do you want me to feed you?"

A blush creeps up to your face and you were unable to meet his gaze. Childe too had the same blush, flustered by your suggestion. Though he wasn't completely against it, he felt bad about lying. He didn't want you to know him as someone who didn't know how to use chopsticks especially when they didn't use them back in his home in Snezhnaya. He could explain the reason why but there was no point in turning back now as you take the chopsticks from his hand.

You pick a small portion of the egg and bring it near his mouth. He opens his mouth willingly and swallows the portion. He slightly chokes but he quickly swallows the whole food. "Is it bad?" He shakes his head in response then clears his throat. "I-It's good."

He wouldn't forgive himself if he had told you that your cooking wasn't good enough. He didn't want to see you sad, maybe even disappointed in yourself for not being able to cook. As a princess since birth, you have not done any of those chores that the servants do, especially when Noelle had done her job really well. Childe knows you're trying your best and he didn't want to ruin that.

You raise a brow at him, skeptical at his description of the meal. You take another portion and was about to take a bite until Childe leans in forward and steals your bite. "H-Hey!"

"I want it all to myself!" Childe argues, grabbing the bowl from you and downing everything in one go. "Y-You'll choke! At least drink water!" Childe swallows everything then takes the cup from you, emptying the liquid. He lets out a small burp and leans back in satisfaction. "Thank you for the meal."

"You're welcome." Childe smiles, feeling at bliss. Is this what it feels like to be cared for? He asks himself in thought. He snaps back to reality when he feels a warm feeling on his cheek. "O-Oh, there was a leftover on your cheek." Feeling shy, you retrieve your hand but Childe keeps your hand in place by placing his over yours. He presses a kiss onto the palm of your hand then gazes at you. You stood there, flustered at his action.

He pulls your arm and you lose balance, falling into his arms. "W-What are you—" Your sentence was cut mid-way as he gently cups your cheek, his eyes scrutinizing your features from your eyes to your nose then stops at your lips.

"May I?" He asks for permission. You gulp as Childe waits for your reply. You have never been kissed before and you were really nervous. "It's okay if you don't want to. I wouldn't want to force you in doing something you don't want—"

"I want to." With that, you sealed his lips with yours.