Chapter 22

"Is that all?" You ask Martin who was carrying the luggage all the way to the carriage. "That looks really heavy, I can help—"

"No! Stay still! You asked me for the nth time and my answer will still be a no." Martin rejects your offer, completely shutting you down.

"That's probably the last one but I'm gonna have to go check your room again just in case that I forget any." Martin goes back to the camp, leaving you alone.

A few minutes later, he comes back empty-handed. "Are we good to go, Princess?"

"Yes." You board the carriage with the aid of Martin who soon hops on the coachman's seat. You take one last glance at the camp. Memories you hold so dearly will forever be remembered.

On the way back, you couldn't help but feel saddened that you weren't able to properly say goodbye. Despite wanting to sleep the sadness away, the ride was too bumpy, you wouldn't be able to sleep well so your mind wanders to the last night's event.

"Sorry, Xiao..." You apologize, unable to look at him in the eyes as you fiddle with the hem of your coat, "B-But I don't... I can't accept your feelings..."

It took a lot of courage for Xiao to confess his feelings for you... he believed he couldn't do it. But what made him even more surprised is that he didn't think he'd do it.

"I know..." He smiles bitterly, "Your heart belongs to someone else." His mind wanders to the thought of Childe's annoying but playful banters, wondering how you could tolerate such behavior, "I just want to tell you how I felt... so I can let go without any regrets."

"Thank you, Xiao." You turn your head in his direction, directly looking at him in the eyes. "During my stay here, I never felt so happy. In my whole life, I was confined by the four walls of my kingdom, always having no freedom to do whatever I wanted. Not even the guards or servants would leave me alone. But in here... I learned a lot. I made friends, picked up a new skill or two, and was able to love and be loved."

"You certainly did grow."

"Indeed, I did. But at what cost?"

"At what cost?" Xiao looks at you confused.

"It's nothing." You shook your head and smile. You couldn't bear to tell him that you were leaving so suddenly. It would be better if he had not known.

"It's getting late... you should return to your room."

Before you leave, you just needed to do one last thing— a parting gift.

"Close your eyes." You request and he hesitantly complies. On your tiptoes, you place a small kiss onto Xiao's cheek. "Good night."

Xiao stood there completely baffled, lightly touching the spot where you had kissed him. "G-Good night."

When the morning came, Childe woke up with a slight headache; nevertheless, he pushed through and began his day. He started with the pile of paperwork on his desk. By the time he was halfway done, he felt as if there was something wrong. He shrugs the feeling away, continuing with his work until he was finished.

Once he was done, it was already eleven in the morning, almost time for lunch. That was the time Childe finally knew what was bothering him— you. He didn't get to see you at all today.

He gets up from his seat, making his way to the door. When he opens it, he comes face to face with Ganyu. "S-Sorry General." She stumbles back, regaining her composure a second later.

"Sorry." Childe apologizes as well, "Is there anything you need?"

"N-No general. Just wanted to report our recent findings."

"Ah, you can save that for later. I'm going to find—"

"Princess (First Name)... right?"

"Y-Yes..." He stutters, "I have some important matters to discuss with her."

"About that... she's not in her room."

"Well? Have you checked the gardens?"

"Xingqiu hasn't seen her there. He's been there all day."

"Kitchen."

"Not even Xiangling."

"Other camps?"

"Not at all."

Childe frantically runs to your room and opens the door, only to see everything neatly organized. Ganyu, who was trailing behind him, also took a peek despite seeing it for the second time.

"She's not here." A voice spoke from behind. The two whip their heads to the source of the voice, revealing Xiao.

"You knew?" Childe raises a brow at him.

"Saw her leave moments ago."

"And you didn't stop her?" Childe was getting angry, taking a few steps towards Xiao until he was face to face with the man.

"I respect her choice."

Childe pulls Xiao by the collar of his hanfu. "Tsk." He clicks his tongue in annoyance, "If you weren't the field marshall, I'd already have you thrown into the basement."

"General, field marshall... c-calm down." Despite Ganyu saying that, she was panicking. The two looked like they were going to fight.

"I'm sure she has her reasons why she didn't tell us," Xiao says, staring intently at Childe's blue eyes.

"I-I think I found something!" Ganyu says, pulling out a scroll from the trashcan. It was your letter from your dad. As Ganyu unrolls the scroll, the three huddled up together to read the contents.

Dear daughter,

It's been a year and a half already since we last saw each other. I'm sure you've grown to like the camp under General Tartaglia's watch but I'm sorry to say that you have to come home soon as we've got a lot to talk about. Also, I've finally found a way to end the feud between the Kingdom of Mondstadt and ours— an arrange marriage between you and Prince Diluc.

Signed,
Emperor (Father's Name)

By the time the three finished reading the scroll, you manage to arrive safely at your kingdom. "Welcome back, Princess (First Name)." Noelle greets you by the time you arrive at the kingdom.

"Noelle!" You run towards her, giving her a hug. "I've missed you!"

"I missed you too, Princess. Shall we head inside? The Emperor is waiting."

At the mention of your father, your smile droops into a straight line. Recalling the letter, you take in a deep breath before straightening your back.

"Please lead me to him."

"As you wish, Princess (First Name)."