Chapter 13

Clang! Clang! The sounds from outside woke you up early in the morning. When you exit your room, you see that everyone was busy, some running around in circles to find whatever items they could find while some were hanging party decorations on the wall. Although that wasn't the source of the noise, the chatters among the soldiers were quite loud.

Clang! Clang! Heading to the noise, the sounds were becoming louder as you reach the end of the hallway and the kitchen was in sight. "Out of the frying pan, into the fire!" You could see Xiangling throwing ingredients into the frying pan with such a big fire on the stove. "Xiang—" You were about to go in and talk to her about lessening the fire as it may pose as a threat but a hand on your shoulder stops you. "I'm not sure if that's a safe idea."

You turn around to see Xingqiu, who was wearing a party hat on his head. You stifle a laugh and Xingqiu frowns. "Don't. I know what you're going to say."

"Well, you look good with it. Though I may ask, what's going on today? Everyone looks busy."

"Oh? You don't know? It's General Childe's birthday."

"I-It is? Oh no..."

"Hm? What's wrong?"

"O-Oh... it's nothing." You shook your head as you bit your lip, thinking to yourself what kind of gift you could give him. As if Xingqiu knew what you were thinking, he advises you not to give him anything. You look at him with your eyebrows furrowed, confused at the thought of not giving the birthday boy a gift. "Don't get me wrong. It's not that he doesn't want any gifts. He prefers giving than receiving."

Now that you finally understood the reason why, that still does not make an exception that you shouldn't give him anything. "What do you think—"

"Make way! Make way!" The kitchen door opens and Xiangling appears with two bowls of appetizing meals in her hands. "General Childe's having his morning jog right now so we better move fast," Xingqiu says before taking the dishes from Xiangling's hands. "He's going to come back soon."

You took that as a cue to leave and rush back into your room. You pull a notebook from your drawers and rip out a piece of paper. Scribbling a few words onto it, you neatly fold it before putting it on the waistband of your hanfu. A knock came through the door and in came Ganyu who ushers you to follow her as the celebration was about to begin.

Ganyu guides you down the hallway before stopping at a decorated table with a cake on top of it. She holds onto your wrist and pulls you, hiding behind the table with her. "Any time now." She whispers, and at that precise moment, he enters the room.

Everyone pops out from their hiding places and started to sing and clap. "Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday dear general! Happy birthday to you!"

Childe, who was surprised by the act, felt speechless. From constantly brainstorming on where he should place his troops and occasionally checking up on the storage for supplies, he had forgotten that it was his birthday today.

Feeling touched, Childe approaches the cake and closes his eyes to make a wish. In a few seconds, he opens his eyes and blows on the candles. "A toast to the celebrant!" Beidou raises a wine bottle and everyone follows suit, holding on to their small cups of wine. In no time, drinks were downed and Beidou laughs, slipping away from the room to look for another bottle of wine.

Childe has sliced through the cake and everyone started getting a slice, especially Chongyun and Xingqiu. Childe steps aside, walking to the corner of the room with a smile on his face. From this angle, he could see everyone enjoying the cake.

Seeing that Childe wasn't interacting with anyone, you take this chance to approach him. His grin, if not wide enough, widens even more. "Princess."

"Happy birthday, Childe."

"Thank you, (First Name)."

"U-Um... I'm not sure if you want—"

The soldiers burst out in laughter, cutting you off mid-sentence. Childe tilts his head to the side and slightly opens the door beside him. "I don't think we can talk in here. Come with me."

He extends his hand out for you and you take his hand in yours, following behind him as you two slip away from the loud bunch of soldiers. He leads you to a secluded area with a ladder on one side of the wall. He retrieves his hand and says, "After you."

You climb the ladder and Childe trails behind you. Once you reach the top, the wind blows gently on your face, your hair flowing at one side. "Wow." Attracted by the view, you gape at the scenery at the top of the watchtower. Childe joins you, looking at the scenery for a bit before turning his head to look at you.

"Beautiful." He says in awe. "I know! Look at those mountains!" You point, tracing the shape of the mountain with your pointing finger. Childe chuckles and shakes his head, putting a hand over your head to caress your hair. "Silly, I meant you."

"W-What?" You became flustered, a dust of pink decorating your cheeks. His hand travels from your hair and to your back until it lands on your waist, pulling your body closer. With faces centimeters apart, he leans in close, your lips almost touching but before they could meet, you cover lips with your hand. "W-We can't... w-we're not together..."

"Is that so? Then I plan on getting to know you better." He decided. "If you let me, at least."

"Y-Yes... that's a good start."

"I'm glad to hear it."

Relishing this moment, he presses a small kiss onto your forehead, mentally thanking you for giving him one of the best birthday gifts he has ever received— a chance to be with you.