𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: TO BE A FRIEND

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:
TO BE A FRIEND

     "I'M COMING WITH YOU." ALEC spoke, staring at Natasha as she pressed a towel to her damp hair, her natural waves falling into place. She looked up at him with a raised eyebrow before standing up and tossing the towel into the dirty clothes. "You're one of the most wanted people right now. I know you can protect yourself and all that. I just want to be your back up in case anything were to possibly go wrong." He wasn't backing down. They were going to be in this together whether Natasha liked it or not. He just wanted to protect her. He wanted to be there in case someone tried to take her.

     A soft sigh fell from the redhead's lips as she crossed her arms over her chest. She met his eyes, shaking her head. "You're not going to give up until I agree." He nodded his head. "Fine. But I think you're being a little over dramatic." She pulled her coat over her body, keys in hand before making her way towards the door. She turned her head to look at him. "You coming?" She smirked slightly before making her way out of the home with Alec hot on her heels.

They stopped by the store in order for Natasha to get a few things before making their way to her small trailer out in the middle of the woods. Alec rose an eyebrow to which she just shrugged before the two got out, Alec carrying the groceries inside whilst Natasha made her way to her bedroom. Was he surprised she had a hideout place in the middle of the woods? Absolutely not. Was he surprised he'd never been told about it? Absolutely. As he was putting up the groceries, the sound of Natasha's voice filled his ears.

     "You got everything I asked?" Natasha hummed, glancing back towards Rick Mason as he followed her from his bedroom.

     "Got passports, entry visas, a couple of local driver's license." Rick answered her, placing a package into her hands. "Mix and match, you should be able to stretch it out to twenty or so identities."

     Looking through them, Natasha was quick to turn and look at him. "Fanny Longbottom?"

     "What?"

     "What are you twelve?" Natasha scoffed, elbowing Alec in the side when he smiled in amusement.

     "That is a legitimate name." Rick argued, a laugh escaping his lips. "We've got a generator outside. It's petrol-powered. And the septic tank will need a flush in a couple of weeks, but, you know, I've got a guy coming for that. Unless that's what he's for." He pointed towards Alec who had pulled a beer from the fridge, raising his eyebrows as a chuckle left his mouth.

     "Yeah, no. Absolutely not. I'm just the over protective ex-boyfriend keeping cops off this fugitive's ass." Natasha rolled her eyes and he smiled into his drink, taking a sip of it.

     "You have to haul your rubbish into town. It's just a twenty minute drive."

     Natasha pointed to Alec. "That's what he's for."

     Rick continued, "I've got your basic hardware kit stashed under the stairs."

     "Nice." Natasha nodded.

Alec walked away from the two, making his way towards the back where Natasha's bedroom once. He assumed that she had just gotten this place, staying with Alec for a couple of hours in order to wait for everything to be situated so that she could get out of his hair. She definitely wasn't expecting him to come with her. He sat down on the bed, humming in surprise at how soft the mattress was. The sound of the trailer door opening and closing grabbed his attention. The sound of footsteps coming towards him made him look up.

     Natasha leaned against the doorway, nodding towards the bed. "You enjoying the comfort of my bed?"

     "It's really soft." Alec answered.

Night started to fall, and Alec managed to cook the duo some food out of the little bit of food Natasha had. He noticed the blonde hair dye laying on the counter, glancing towards Natasha with interest before deciding to leave it alone before making his way over to her. She smiled at him, accepting the food and drink. He sat down beside her on the couch, listening to her quote a movie she was watching with a small smile gracing his face. That's when the lights went out, causing the two to look up. Alec sighed before standing up.

     "I got it."

     "Are you sure?" Natasha frowned.

     "Positive." He nodded before making his way out of the trailer and to where the generator was. He tried to crank it, only to find it needed more gas. He sighed before grabbing one of the tanks that allowed gas to enter it. He peaked his head into the trailer. "I have to go get some gas. Just sit tight."

     "No, I'll come with you." Natasha stood up, pulling her shoes on before accepting Alec's hand as he helped her down the steps though she didn't needed. "Why are you being a gentleman? It's scaring me?"

     "Would you like me to stop and go back to being a dick?" Alec hummed, climbing into the driver's side as Natasha got into the passengers.

     "No. I'm just saying. If this is a pity act, I don't need it. I'm fine."

     "You're family just had a giant fight and disowned each other. You don't know whether or not your girlfriend still wants to be your girlfriend and by the look on your face I know that bothers you. So, no, you're not fine, Natasha. And that's okay. I'm just trying to be a friend." He glanced away from the road in order to look at her. "Can you let me do that?"

     Natasha pursed her lips before nodding her head. She watched him turn back towards the road and the two sat in silence, the only thing that could be heard was the music playing from the radio. "Have you found her?"

     Alec didn't answer, but he knew what she was talking about. His hand clenched around the steering wheel for a moment before he forced himself to relax, shaking his head. "No. Nothing. Not a single damn trace. I'm starting to think I was lied to Natasha."

     "Don't give up." Natasha shook her head. "You'll find her. And now that I have nothing better to do, I can help too." She paused. "I tried to find her when I was back at the Avengers compound. But I had the same luck." She looked at him before placing a hand on his arm. "She's out there. We will find her, Alexander. I promise."

Just as he was about to say something, he took a turn that led to the bridge before something hit the car and exploded, sending the car flying, and making Alec's head slam against the steering wheel, making his vision turn pitch black.