𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:THE LAST THING WE DO

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
THE LAST THING WE DO

HE COCKED HIS GUN BEFORE placing it in the back of his pants, they had a plan. According to Natasha's sources, they knew exactly where Ronin Smith was hiding. They had to act fast, because there was no doubt that he would move as soon as he finished whatever deal it was that he was completely. Ronin never stayed in one place for more than three days, which meant they had to move now because they hadn't a clue how long he'd been there.

"Are you sure about this?" Natasha carefully asked him, checking the ammo in her gun before loading it and placing it in her gun holster. She turned her head to look at him, waiting for his response.

"You don't have to come." Alec told her, shaking his head. "But I'm going to kill that bastard for ever laying his hands on my sister." He grabbed his bag, placing it on his shoulder as he looked at Natasha, impatiently raising his eyebrows. "Are you coming or not?"

Natasha sighed before nodding her head. "Let's get this over with."

They used one of the quinjets, flying to their destination. It was going to take a few hours, so the two were sitting there in silence. Natasha occasionally glanced at the man before turning her attention back to the sky. It wasn't necessarily an awkward silence, but it wasn't the kind of silence you wouldn't mind sitting in for a while to allow your thoughts to roam. There was a tension within that silence, one that she could've sworn they had left behind at the Avengers building, but apparently not.

She didn't really know what to say. The two of them had a history together, one that had so many ups and downs, but there was a period within their history where Alec had been the one to start the beginning of her changing her mind about who she was and what she did. Sure, Clint was the one to bring her to SHIELD in order to give her a second chance, but Alec was the one that had put her mind on a different path, and she owed all of successes to him. She wanted to say thank you, but she couldn't get the words to leave her mouth. She had a feeling that he still thought she was the reason behind his little sister getting killed.

"I did a job for him once." Those were the first words that she could say. Before they went into this head first, Alec needed to know every detail possible, and that included the time where Natasha had worked for the man. "It's how I found about you―︎about your sister. I'm not really sure who was the one to tell him about Aurora's existence, but whoever it was, they wanted her for something."

"Why are you telling me this?" Alec asked, a sigh leaving his lips as he turned away from the window to look at the redhead.

"Because, my mission was to kill you." Natasha revealed. "Just like yours was to kill me."

His jaw clenched. "And why didn't you?"

Natasha sat there for a moment before shaking her head. "Honestly, I don't know." She remembered that night clearly, how she had snuck into his home, planned on killing him quickly, only to find Aurora sitting on the couch watching television. "You were asleep, Aurora wasn't. She was sitting there, watching a show with such interest she barely noticed me come through the door until she did. But, she didn't act like most people would act when they see someone breaking into their house, she sat there and just smiled at me, wondering if I was a friend of yours."

She was careful to be quiet as she picked the lock, sliding into the home as quietly as possible. Her goal was to get in and out, but when she turned, she was forced to stop when she saw a girl sitting on the couch, having fixed herself a bowl of popcorn, barely blinking as she watched the television in front of her. It was the only noise coming from the house. Aurora turned her head to look at the redheaded woman, freezing for a moment before popping another piece of popcorn in her mouth.

"Alec's asleep." Aurora told her, offering her a small smile. "You're welcome to join me on the couch if you'd like." Natasha glanced around for a moment before walking over to Aurora who was patting the spot beside of her. Natasha carefully sat down, and Aurora immediately offered her the popcorn to which Natasha just shook her head. "I don't think I've met you yet, you're one of my brother's work friends?"

"Work friends?" Natasha questioned.

Aurora rolled her eyes. "I know what he does. He thinks I don't know, but I do, I just don't say anything to him about it. What's your name? My name's Aurora, but I hate the Disney princesses so I prefer Rory."

Natasha wondered if she should actually tell the girl her name. And against her better judgement, she nodded her head. "Natalia. But I prefer Natasha."

"Natasha." Aurora hummed. "I like your name. It suits you."

"Thanks. . . I think?"

"Compliment." Aurora assured her. "I always wondered why my parents chose Aurora, my theory is that they simply wanted me and Alec to have the same first letter in our names. Same initials and everything. Do you have any siblings?"

Natasha didn't answer her, and instead cocked her head as she watched the show that was playing on the television. Aurora smiled at this. "It's called Skins. Ever watched it?" Natasha shook her head and Aurora hummed in response, narrowing her eyes at her. "You don't talk all that much, do you?" She shrugged. "I don't mind. But, you probably won't see Alec in the morning, so you're welcome to stay or come back."

"Thanks." Natasha nodded before standing up, she then turned towards the girl. "Don't tell him I was here. I want it to be a. . . surprise when I show up."

Aurora's smile widened as she gave the assassin a small salute. "He hates surprises. But I have a feeling he won't hate this one."

"She really said that?" Alec question in slight amusement.

"She did." Natasha nodded, a small smile on her face. "But it was the way she acted, her whole persona and personality, it was the reason for me not killing you I believe. I mean, how could I take away her brother when she had a personality like that."

"Yeah, she's contagiously loveable." Alec chuckled, nodding his head as a sad smile fell on his face. He missed her more than anything in the world.

Natasha glanced at him for a moment before she took one hand off the wheel and place her hand over his. "We'll avenge her, Alec. Even if it's the last thing we do."

Alec looked at her for a moment before nodding in agreement before repeating, "Even if it's the last thing we do."

"