Chapter 16

Stiles is able to get most of dinner done before Derek gets up from the couch and abandoning the shirt. Stiles sighs as he feels Derek wrap his arms around Stiles waist and buries his face into the side of Stiles neck while he stirs the noodles in the pot on the stove. 

Stiles is really getting anxious with this situation, it's like its getting worse by the day and Stiles isn't sure what to do. It's like Derek is going backwards, Stiles is sure it has to do with separating them for a couple hours, but he's sure when Derek is no longer feral he'll be glad that Stiles forced Derek's wolf away from him. But Stiles is always worried it might be harming his wolf, if Stiles is like an anchor, or a safety net they are essentially taking that away and it could cause Derek to become more feral.

Stiles needs to talk to Peter about this, Derek's breath against Stiles' neck snaps Stiles out of his thoughts. Stiles turns his head a little, trying to see Derek but he's got his face tucked where Stiles' shoulder mets his neck. Stiles sighs and stirs the pasta one more time before turning the burner off. He begins to move away from the stove and leads Derek back into the living room. 

He picks the shirt up and rubs it over his face a couple times before passing it back to Derek, who takes it gleefully and sits back down on the couch with the shirt pressed to his face. Stiles tries not thinking about how cute of a reaction that is and instead turns back to the kitchen. Stiles picks his phone up on the way and shoots Peter a text to see if he's busy.

Stiles stares at the pasta for a minute trying to decide if he should make some sauce, or if they should just eat the stuffed noodles like that. Stiles doesn't even know what Derek actually likes eating, he figures if he's feral he might like meat more, but that seems like an assumption based on the wolf aspect and Stiles can't be feeding his Dad so much fatty meats.

Stiles sighs and reaches for his phone as it buzzes, Peter has responded, that was a fast reply actually now that Stiles thinks about it.

'I'm not busy no. What's up?' Is Peter's response and Stiles sighs, it will be easier to call him he decides as he hits the call button. 

"Stiles, do you miss me that much?" Peter questions teasingly and Stiles huffs a soft laugh. 

"Of course, whatever will I do without the big bad wolf?" Stiles responds mockly, Peter actually laughs at his response and Stiles smiles smugly. 

"Okay, seriously though, what's up?" Peter questions and Stiles sighs.

"Is there a chance that separating me and Derek is hurting him? He hasn't been able to leave me out of his sight for more than five minutes. I had to give him one of my shirts so that I could cook dinner, he's clinger than usual and I'm worried." Peter hums on the other end and Stiles bites his lip.

"There is a chance it could be hurting him, but over time it might become easier for Derek to be without you for longer periods of time. It's hard to say with a feral werewolf and honestly I don't know much about them. The only way to become feral was to lose your pack, as you know, but I've never really heard of a feral wolf being so attached." Peter sighs, sounding uneasy. "We can delay the separation for a little while and then try again, but that's up to you." Stiles rubs his forehead.

"I'm not really sure what to do, it just occurred to me earlier that separating us could be causing Derek to become more feral, or somehow hurting them both in some way." Stiles explains, he rubs his eyes before continuing. "But I also know that if Derek comes out of this, which he will eventually, that if his wolf is really attached to me than he'll be pissed with me for allowing that attachment to grow." Stiles finishes with yet another sigh.

"It's hard to say, maybe you should do as Derek needs now and worry about the consequences later," Peter sighs and then continues. "Or focus on what he needs while also giving some space between you two just not as long as we did yesterday." Peter suggests and Stiles pauses. 

"Hang on, did you, Peter Hale just say something helpful?" Stiles questions incredulously.

"So it appears I have, my mistake, won't happen again darling." Peter snarks and Stiles bursts out laughing.

"You're such a smart ass." Stiles states with laughter in his voice.

"I'm glad I can make someone laugh, and yes I am a smart ass. It's something we have in common actually." Peter muses causing Stiles to laugh again.

"Anyways, I think we'll stick with some space, but just not too much. So what would be the best time, like an hour or less?" Stiles says, redirecting their conversation to the topic they were originally discussing. 

"Probably less, maybe we can do it once a week to start, for say thirty minutes and see what happens then." Peter responds, quickly shifting gears. 

Stiles hums, "That sounds like a good plan actually, maybe before we send him back to stay with you we should have you two interact. That way he doesn't associate you with me going away." Stiles reasons and Peter is silent for a second.

"That is actually a good idea, I never really thought about that, but it will be harder to start off because he doesn't like me much and I don't think that will change if you're in the room or not." Peter sounds a little disappointed in that fact, and Stiles bites his lip.

"I'm sure you guys will work it out, if it's his wolf that distrusts you it could be hindering Derek from making an actual connection with you again, so by establishing a connection first with his wolf it might help establish one with Derek." Stiles smiles, proud of his explanation and Peter laughs softly.

"When did you become such an optimist?" Stiles laughs at that response.

"It's never too late to start. Anyways, we'll figure it all out and I'm sure you guys will get along soon enough." Stiles says airyly. 

"I'll hold you to that, but I'll let you go for now. I need to make myself some dinner." Peter responds lightly and Stiles smirks.

"Going to go hunt a deer for this dinner?" Stiles asks sarcastically and when Peter sigh comes through the phone smirks wider.

"Why yes, Stiles and deers don't hunt themselves so if you'll excuse me." Peter snarks and Stiles laughs in delight. 

"Alright, I'll leave you to your hunting of the deers." Stiles responds with a grin and smiles when Peter huffs in response. "Goodbye Creeper Wolf." Stiles singsongs.

"Goodbye you nightmare of a child." Peter responds with what sounds like a smirk.

They hang up and Stiles dishes dinner out and wanders over to where Derek is sitting and handing him a bowl. Derek takes it with a little furrow in his brow, but holds the bowl steady. Stiles smiles at the adorable sight and turns the TV on.