Chapter 26- The Wish

Start from the beginning

"Like right now? What about English?"

"Mrs. Sanders is supposed to give us time to work on our projects with our partners for most of class today anyway.....and you happen to be my partner. So we can just work on it over lunch. It's a win, win! Come on Lila, I promise to get you back before fifth hour."

My favorite dimple on Tylers left cheek peeks out when he smiles back at me, waiting for my response.

I've never skipped a class before. Honestly I've been too much of a rule follower and scardy cat to ever try it. Shocking I know. But the way Tyler is staring at me with his big beautiful blue eyes which resemble more of a puppy dog right now melts my heart into a pool of mush. Any responsible or rational thinking is quickly disappearing the longer he stands before me.

"Um......but like, how would we—? Won't we get caught leaving?" The nerves are evident in my voice and I hate how childish I sound.

As if he can read my mind the way Tyler always can he doesn't wait for me to say anything else and instead jumps into action.

"Don't overthink this. Just follow my lead. If you act naturally nobody is gonna notice. Promise. I'll take care of you, you don't have to worry. You can trust me, Lila."

I've trusted you before, should I do it again?

Tyler casually leads me towards a side door which opens to the back student parking lot. He grabs my books from my hand and throws them into a backpack he had slung around one shoulder. After checking the coast is clear he opens the door for me.

"Ladies first..."

I can't believe I'm doing this.

I walk out and he follows right behind me. My stomach is full of butterflies both from playing hooky from class but also from the gorgeous boy who once broke my heart. Tyler's arm slings around my shoulder as if to say he's proud of me for taking this leap of faith with him.

"Are you a bad influence on me Tyler Johnson? Is this what Sandy felt like in Grease?" I ask him when he opens his passenger door for me to hop into his Jeep.

Tyler laughs. "That depends. Am I your Danny Zuko?"

*****

"Hands on your own plate mister!"

I jab Tyler's fork away that's invading my gigantic plate of tacos, enchiladas, quesidillas and rice. We decided on a small Mexican restaurant ten minutes outside of town. The food here is delicious but more importantly, I thought the chances of us running into someone we know while we are supposed to be at school were slim.

"Come on Lila, share with me. You know you'lll never finish it all."

"I might." I scoff, knowing this is enough food to feed me for three meals.

"Pretty please. Just one bite."

Seeing this giant gorgeous guy beg me for some of my food does something to my insides and it's hard to deny him any longer.

"Ok fine." I nudge my plate a little closer to him. "You really are like a big toddler sometimes you know that right?!"

Tyler is too busy happily shoving his mouth full of my food to retort my last comment. Instead he gives a big cheesy grin and keeps piling chicken tacos into his mouth.

"So.... What made you pick this as your wish? I thought for sure you'd try to embarrass me or make me wash your Jeep or something." I say sarcastically but really in my mind I've been wondering for the last twenty minutes what Tyler's motivation for taking me to lunch is. I sit there in the dark corner booth quietly trying to keep my mind from racing.