chapter two

Gavin's POV

"There's nothing here, boys. Let's head back to the station." I said with a heavy sigh. The lead was a bust. Like I assumed it would be, the warehouse was completely empty.

"Yes, sir." The team replied in unison, heads hung low.

"Hey," I said, huddling the group together in the middle of the building. "We tried. That's all we ca-" I paused when I heard a faint sobbing sound.

"Do you guys hear that?" Everyone went silent before nodding hesitantly.

"Where's it coming from?" Mike asked.

"Over here." I called out to him when I noticed a wood plank resting on the ground. When I lifted it up it opened to a small set of stairs that lead to an office.

"I'm going to go down. You guys stay up here. I'll call for backup if it's needed." They agreed, surrounding the opening as I made my way down. When I got downstairs the sobbing was even louder and I mentally prepared myself for what I was about to see.

The office was on the smaller side and mostly empty, only containing a large mahogany desk in the center.

As I looked further into the room I found where the sobbing was coming from.

Inside of a small cage underneath the desk, was a small boy curled up in a tiny metal cage clutching a dirty elephant stuffed animal to his chest. He was completely naked, other than a wide metal collar strapped to his neck, allowing me to see the large amount of cuts and bruises littering his body. I couldn't see him too clearly because of the darkness of the room however I instantly felt a strong connection to the little one.

I searched for a light switch in the room and quickly flipped it on, allowing me to see him entirely.

Even through the dirt covering his body, I could see how beautiful and innocent the boy was. He had pale, white skin and light brown freckles as well as medium length curly, blonde hair. Those features were almost unnoticeable however because of the thick layer of dirt covering him

The sobbing I originally heard from the warehouse got more noticeable, making my heart break a little more. "It's okay, sweetheart. I'm not going to hurt you." I said gently, taking a step closer to him but he just cowered further into the cage. Being 6'3 and muscular had it's perks at times but when it came to comfort, my looks played against me. I must be terrifying to him. Especially if he doesn't know who I am or why I'm here.

I debated my options for a moment before making my next move. On one hand, I could open the cage and pull the small boy to my chest until he was comforted and content or I could call an ambulance and get him set up in the hospital.

Of course, I went with the ladder because even though all I wanted to do was shush his cries and calm him, he obviously needed immediate medical attention.

That being noted, I quietly left the room and informed the rest of my team of the situation before calling in an ambulance.

Until they come, I'll have to keep my distance so I don't scare the little one further. I'd have to find a way to get him to warm up to me. Luckily for me, I had an amazing husband who could help me do just that.

Charlie's POV

*ring ring*

I blinked my eyes open when I heard my phone going off. Usually when I go to sleep I leave my phone on silent but I wanted to hear it tonight if Gavin needed me.

"Hey, baby. Is everything alright? I thought you'd be home by now." I asked him groggily after picking up the phone.

"Everything's fine, love. Sorry for waking you." He reassured me but I wasn't convinced.

"Are you sure? You sound worried." I heard him sigh on the other end followed by a lot of background noise. "What's going on?" I was starting to get worried myself.

"We found an abused little at the location we were given. He was hurt pretty bad so we called in medical help and they took the boy to the nearest hospital." He paused and I heard more background noise. "I told the team to go back to the station but I went with the little to the hospital." By the tone of his voice I could tell he was attached to the situation and I couldn't be happier about it.

Ever since we got married, we'd been looking for our own little. We went to countless adoption centers but none of the littles there seemed like the right fit.

I can't help but already feel like this little is going to be special.

"What hospital are you at?" I asked while quickly getting out of bed.

"Greenwood." He told me as I checked the clock on the bedside table.

1:37 am

"I'll be there by four, baby. I can leave the house in a few minutes." I grabbed one of Gavin's sweatshirts and threw it on followed by a pair of my sweatpants. His clothes swam on my 5'7 frame, the sweatshirt resting mid thigh.

"Thank you, love. Could you also grab me a few pairs of clothes and some of my bathroom things? You might want to bring some extra stuff as well. I don't know how long he'll have to stay here." I loved the fact that Gavin automatically assumed I'd be in it with him. I've never even seen this little before but based on Gavin's obvious emotional connection, I know I'll love him and care for him.

"Of course, baby." I told him while scrambling around the room, trying to grab everything as quickly as possible.

"I love you, darling. See you later." I said my own 'I love you' and hung up the phone.

I packed all of our things into our white Range Rover and got into the drivers seat, driving off as fast as I can so I can meet my future little one.

-

a/n - hey guys! So.. this book is already at a thousand reads... that's absolutely insane! Thank you all so much for reading the story so far!!

Moving on... what'd you think of the chapter?!? The writings still kind of awkward in this chapter but I think it gets better in a few chapters :) I have like 9 chapters pre written so I might start updating a little more, I just wanna make sure I have a few left over in case I can't write for a while.. so yeah :)

Anyways.. leave a comment letting me know what you thought of the chapter!! Thank you again for reading the chapter and don't forget to vote if you liked it, I hope you all have a lovely day/night! <3

P.s. what do you guys think of the new cover for the story?? I'm still debating if I should change it..